313DJ

NEED HELP SETTING UP MY DRIVERACK PA,CROWN ITECH 8000,XTI 6002

313DJ    0

hello if anybody can help i would appreciate it,i have watched videos and did a lot of reading,attempted to set it up myself,i usually get stuck because it doesn't have any of my speakers or amps in the presets,so i have to use the custom option wanted to know if that option will get the full effect,

also at the point in the eq wizzard where it asks u to set the volume u will be playing at i get lost really needs help with that.

equipment= pioneer djm 600 mixer,

bbe sonic maximizer with sub output,

dbx driverack pa,

1 crown xti 6002 for tops

1 crown itech-8000 for subs

2 ev zx5 tops crossover 1.5khz

2 ev qrx 218s,crossover 80hz

dakos    0

First of all, it should have your amps in its database, the 6002 might be too new but you should have the XTI 6000 to use instead.

Second, I would suggest you post a new topic on the DBX forum, it is very active with lots of knowledgable people such as "DRA" and "Gadget", they will answer your question very quickly.

One more thing to consider... I think running the signal through the DRPA and then into the the two amplifiers DSP is wasting sound quality, UNLESS you need a specific feature not available on the amps DSP. The DSP on the i-Tech is of better quality then the DRPA and the one on the XTI is pretty much comparable.

Here is a link to the sub forum you need:

http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=31756acbbe6cd19e93a3b1d340ee8c0f

313DJ    0

@ BOBBYSDAD YES I'M USING THE DBX RTA MIC,

AND DAKOS I'M REALLY JUST GOING AFTER THE BEST SOUND QUALITY,ALSO I LIKE THE AFS OPTION FOR FEEDBACK PROTECTION FROM THE DRPA,AS FAR AS THE DSP ON THE ITECH AND XTI,I HAVE BEEN USING EXTERNAL LIMITERS SHOULD I BYPASS THOSE ALSO IF I DON'T USE THE DRPA?

dakos    0

The amps DSP doesn't have AFS and the sound quality of the DRPA is not the "best" so it's up to you to decide what's more important to you.

Using the amps onboard DSPs limiter makes much more sense because the amps DSP knows the real voltage the amp is outputting while the DRPA is only guessing, other than that the limiter on the itech has continuous power limiter like the DRPA has plus a peak limiter.

sharyboo    0

Just wanted to add to what Dakos told you. I had ask that same question about the drive rack a few months ago and was giving the same answer .

The drpa is great but when you use the dsp on the itechs i believe the results are super.

I configured my amps it took a while and a lot of tweeting but now the parties or events i play for i use just my 6000 on hi and 8000 for lows and my crowd or even pro djs are amazed of the quality of sound produced from these amps vs. my competitors quantity.

The inputs and outputs stages are never cliping and speakers sound amazing

dakos    0

A used XTI 6002 and a used itech 4000/6000 cost about the same so you might consider making the switch to a complete pro amplification system.

As for the DRPA, it's true that this unit sound inferior to its bigger brothers starting from the DR260 and up or its cousin the BSS 334T, 336T and the 366T, but this upgrade will cost substantial $$$ and the previous upgrade is relatively free :)

313DJ    0

ok dakos and texan thriller i'm going to try and use the xti 6002 and i-tech 8000 by themselves,just need to go out and get a ethernet cable to hook the i-tech up to my pc do either of u know the correct cable for this because i see the regular ethernet cables don't work

dakos    0

If you connect the amp directly to the computer then you need a cross cable and if you go through a router/switch/hub then you need a regular cable.

Don't forget a USB cable so System Architect can see both your amps simultaneously.

313DJ    0

ok dakos got both cables,the xti 6002 showed up on system architect but the i-tech 8000 didn't,it showed activity on the back of the amp but it was not found on the pc

Need help setting up PA. PA used primarily for micing drums and vocals. Goal is to get that "punch" from my kick drum but so far, I can't get it without clipping.

Config : audix D6 mic, mackie profx22, 2 electro voice elx 115ps, JBL jrxsp118p, dbx driverack pa+.

Confused about THRU / HPF switch on the JBL sub; the powered tops have switches for use with subs too.

The driverack pa+ does not have the presets for my amps/speakers and will not complete the balancing function.

dakos    0

One thing I can think of is if you have any EQing going on? On the Mackie? On the DRPA? Did you use it to boost the signal?

Another thing is the JRX sub, it's a pretty weak sub for good kick drum reproduction...

Where does the clipping occure?

bobbysdad    0

It could be anything....

I would think it's a bit too much to ask from just the one sub tho'.

I am EQing on the mackie; cutting mids; highs and lows are both flat; using compression. The kick drum doesn't really cut thru unless the gain of the mic is at 2 o'clock and by then the meters on the mixer are solid amber with the mixer's faders at unity. With respect to the DRPA, I did not use it to boost the signal. I did try to manipulate the sub-harmonic synth but it had no audible effect. I finally skipped the balancing after several attempts. Since no presets exist for the EV tops, I substituted a preset from a JBL speaker that had similar freq resp and range. The auto-eq completes but how can I be sure I'm getting the most from it if I don't use the specs from my speakers / amps?

dakos    0

Really there are so many things that can be wrong here, it would take bit of learning to tune this system and debug the problems. You should start with the basics... First, mic selection, look here for a detailed discussion about it:

http://forums.prosou...opic,170.0.html

Now you need to verify the mic/mics (I've seen up to 5 mics only for kick but mostly 2-3) are placed correctly, this video is a good start:

Now your drummers technic could be a bit off and you will have a hard time trying to compensate for it, you should try to playback a good quality track with good sounding kick drum through your rig and see if your rig sounds better.

The compressor might be configured a bit off, the DRPA could be configured in a million wrong ways and the auto EQ feature will almost never give you good results just at best it will give you a good starting point for a bad sounding room to start with and at most times it will simply not work well.

Then again you're rig does have a weak bottom end, only one JRX sub. You should rent additional subs and amps and connect them without the JRX, in my opinion a minimal rig to get good kick drum reproduction needs double 18 subs at about 2000-3000W each so this trial would tell you exactly what you want to know.

Many more things such as room acoustics and speaker placement and other stuff but you already have allot to do :)

Good luck and report back