pantherairsoft

Crown XTi input & output gains

Deromax    0

So the immediate problem is fixed for now. However, this 44 Hz filter means you are not reproducing several of the lowest notes, moreso on a 6 strings. IMHO, you should continue to investigate the original issue and resume operation with a lower high pass filter frequency.

dakos    0
So the immediate problem is fixed for now. However, this 44 Hz filter means you are not reproducing several of the lowest notes, moreso on a 6 strings. IMHO, you should continue to investigate the original issue and resume operation with a lower high pass filter frequency.

Due to the natural frequency response of the speaker he is not reproducing these tones anyway so why waste all the energy and put the amp into thermal?

There is a noticeable change in the floor moving low frequencies, but then the club PA will do a large portion of these for me. Also, not hearing the fundamental of a low B is something that most bass players are used to. Very few amp and cab combos will do so efficiently. I agree though, IF there was another way around it then it's certainly something I'd investigate.

Due to the natural frequency response of the speaker he is not reproducing these tones anyway so why waste all the energy and put the amp into thermal?

My thinking too.

A friend has lent me a new Genz Benz Streamliner 900 bass amp fo me to play with. I 'll be interested in how it stacks up against the pre and power set up. at 900w into 4 Ohms I'm very interested to check out these new super high power mini amps.

Deromax    0

The published spec for his cab is stated as "usable down to 30 Hz"... which of course doesn't mean you should automatically try! :)

HeadlineDJ    0

When I use XTi's for Bass I essentially use double the RMS power of the speakers. This gives me the headroom required to push them as required without clipping of any kind.

My tops are 300W RMS @ 8 Ohms and for those I use the XTi 4000 which gives me 650W RMS at 8 Ohms per channel.

I set my gain structure so that for maximum output at any given event my mixer does not need to travel past the 0db point on the output fader.

This then serves as the global level monitor also, as over time using this method I know how much power I am using based on the faders position.

I've read and scanned over this thread and my first thought would be to use the next amp up in the series. This allows for more headroom within your modus operandi.

I hope I grasped the right end of the stick, as it's now 3:10am here and I am rather tired. :-)

dakos    0
The published spec for his cab is stated as "usable down to 30 Hz"... which of course doesn't mean you should automatically try! :)

The 30Hz is nothing more then marketing B.S., the -10dB point is 32Hz, what that means is that you need 10 times the power to make the speaker output the same SPL at 32Hz as it would in normal range of operation, I sure as *beep* wouldn't call that usable!!!

@HeadlineDJ

You got the thread correctly except for the gain structure which is not the problem but rather the output voltage of the mixer/pre. The thing is that we want to try everything we can before recomending to buy new gear.

@shep

Did you also change the HP filter to 24dB/Octave L/R?

The 30Hz is nothing more then marketing B.S., the -10dB point is 32Hz, what that means is that you need 10 times the power to make the speaker output the same SPL at 32Hz as it would in normal range of operation, I sure as *beep* wouldn't call that usable!!!

@HeadlineDJ

You got the thread correctly except for the gain structure which is not the problem but rather the output voltage of the mixer/pre. The thing is that we want to try everything we can before recomending to buy new gear.

@shep

Did you also change the HP filter to 24dB/Octave L/R?

Yeah, I altered the HP from 48/db to 24/db and performance seems improved. I have not thermal clipped it yet. A friend of mine has leant me a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 which is a traditional bass amp with modern power technology making it put out 900w at 4 ohms. I had a recording session in the week so took both my Pre/Power set up and the Genz and recorded a take of each track with each amp. The Genz just feels like it has so much more juice and no signs of struggling. It didn't even get warm. With bass amps of this quality and power now making a splash on the market, maybe it's time to move back to an amp like that rather that the pre arms crown and keep the crown for PA duties...

Shep