Sign in to follow this  
danrees

crown k2

danrees    0

hello im new to the forum .. i just bought a crown k2 for runing my sub at 2 ohms . but the first time i noticed it was running hot . is this normal for the k2 or has mine got a fault on it ..i love the bass out of the k2 its got a great sound on the bass could some one help me please thank you

Stephane    0
hello im new to the forum .. i just bought a crown k2 for runing my sub at 2 ohms . but the first time i noticed it was running hot . is this normal for the k2 or has mine got a fault on it ..i love the bass out of the k2 its got a great sound on the bass could some one help me please thank you

how hot ?30 deg celcius , 40,50,100?? by touch feeling this is hard to say if it is running hot. Those amp are convection cooled will feel hotter than a air cooled one. I would say if doesn't go in protection you are golden unless you get a meter to check the actual temperature to confirm other wise.

danrees    0

how hot ?30 deg celcius , 40,50,100?? by touch feeling this is hard to say if it is running hot. Those amp are convection cooled will feel hotter than a air cooled one. I would say if doesn't go in protection you are golden unless you get a meter to check the actual temperature to confirm other wise.

thank you for you responce stephane . my k2 has not cut out well not yet anyway.i will put a thermometer on it and see how hot it gets . what do you think the temp shoud stay at .thank you

Kevin Heber    0

Also do you know if the sleep circuit has been modified? The amp will pull about 100W at idle or low-level audio if it is not asleep. So imagine a 100W incandescent lightbulb is in there. At higher levels of throughput the amp is much more efficient, of course.

danrees    0
Also do you know if the sleep circuit has been modified? The amp will pull about 100W at idle or low-level audio if it is not asleep. So imagine a 100W incandescent lightbulb is in there. At higher levels of throughput the amp is much more efficient, of course.

hello the sleep circuits is bypessed . i got the crown k2 for runing my subs on my ht system and i found that the sleep circiuts would activate and deactivate . very frustrating when watching a movie so i bypassed it .so you are suggesting that if i run it on a higher level it will run more efficient and not run as hot . have youn heard of any one water cooling the crown k series . thank you for youre input

Kevin Heber    0

Yes, heat will actually build up at a slower rate when the amp is in use. At some point, most likely a very loud level, heat will build up roughly the same as at idle.

I would love to see a water-cooled K2. Or an old VW bug for that matter.

Stephane    0

hello the sleep circuits is bypessed . i got the crown k2 for runing my subs on my ht system and i found that the sleep circiuts would activate and deactivate . very frustrating when watching a movie so i bypassed it .so you are suggesting that if i run it on a higher level it will run more efficient and not run as hot . have youn heard of any one water cooling the crown k series . thank you for youre input

Like i said earlier i would not sweat too much about that heat unless you have real issues, i own 2 Bryston 4B (30 years old) and they do get hot to(convection cooled) when used, even at idle according to Bryston still use 100 watts ish just like the K serie. Water cooled is probably possible, i had a computer water cooled....