DPDAN

Connecting three XTI amps via USB with Band Manager for F.O.H.

DPDAN    0

Hi folks,

I have three XTI power amps.

I have worn myself out trying to find any information anywhere on the net and Crown's website

about how I can connect all three (via the USB port) to some kind of device so that the USB signal

from all three amps can be fed to a Windows laptop running Band Manager.

I have no use for the laptop sitting on the amp rack, I want to use the laptop and the Band manager

software to monitor the amplifiers at the "front of house". Can this be done?

Is there some type of device that allows the USB signal to run in a channel of the audio snake cable?

I know, I know, wishful thinking. :rolleyes: Since I doubt that, what kind of cables, adaptors

whatever do I need to pull this off?

Thanks guys!

Dan

Robson    0
Hi folks,

I have three XTI power amps.

I have worn myself out trying to find any information anywhere on the net and Crown's website

about how I can connect all three (visa the USB port) to some kind of device so that the USB signal

from all three amps can be fed to a Windows laptop running Band Manager.

I have no use for the laptop sitting on the amp rack, I want to use the laptop and the Band manager

software to monitor the amplifiers at the "front of house". Can this be done?

Is there some type of device that allows the USB signal to run in a channel of the audio snake cable?

I know, I know, wishful thinking. :rolleyes: Since I doubt that, what kind of cables, adaptors

whatever do I need to pull this off?

Thanks guys!

Dan

We have used this before

http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp

Allows you to sit the USB Anywhere on an ethernet network, and run Cat 5 from FOH to the Amp Racks

Works well.

Cheers

Rob

DPDAN    0

thank you Rob!

so, I would connect all three (or up to five) XTI USB ports to this device,

then a CAT5 cable would run out of this device to the laptop at FOH correct?

I guess I could always use a USB hub for more than five?

Dan

You are correct that you would connect all three amps to the usb ports on the USB Anywhere device and then use a cat5 or cat 6 cable to run your signal from your laptop. I have done this and it works. As far as connecting more than 5 amps to the unit with an external USB Hub I got flaky results. I have read in the forum of one user who I believe got this to work with up to 12 amps. You might check posts from about 2 years ago and search on USB Anywhere for more info. One other option rather than running Cat5 or Cat6 is to go with a wireless router which would then plug in to the USB Anywhere. It is slightly slower, however it is less cable to run and if you have a mix of XTi and I-Tech amps you can use the one router to control all of your amps. Just thinking about your future expansion. Good Luck. ;)

bill

DPDAN    0
You are correct that you would connect all three amps to the usb ports on the USB Anywhere device and then use a cat5 or cat 6 cable to run your signal from your laptop. I have done this and it works. As far as connecting more than 5 amps to the unit with an external USB Hub I got flaky results. I have read in the forum of one user who I believe got this to work with up to 12 amps. You might check posts from about 2 years ago and search on USB Anywhere for more info. One other option rather than running Cat5 or Cat6 is to go with a wireless router which would then plug in to the USB Anywhere. It is slightly slower, however it is less cable to run and if you have a mix of XTi and I-Tech amps you can use the one router to control all of your amps. Just thinking about your future expansion. Good Luck. ;)

bill

thanks very much Bill!

Dan

gates    0

bill

Hi Bill,

Would this device work in the same situation? hub. I am "networking challenged" also. Thanks for your help.

Gates

Gates, It sure looks like it should. It is 1/3 of the price of the USB Anywhere. Give it a try and if you think of it let me know how it works.

Thanks

bill B)

gates    0
Gates, It sure looks like it should. It is 1/3 of the price of the USB Anywhere. Give it a try and if you think of it let me know how it works.

Thanks

bill B)

Thanks Bill, I'll give it a try this weekend & report back

gates    0

Thanks

bill B)

Hi Bill. The Belkin works great. Installed software>plugged in hub to laptop>it "saw" all 3 amps.>hit "connect" for each amp> open Band Manager and you know the rest. Very simple. Now to figure out how to mount it in the rack.

Thanks,

Gates

DPDAN    0

Can anyone who is using a USBAnywhere device with Crown amps please help.

I successfully installed the Microsoft net thing, and then I installed the Band Manager software.

When I connect one of my XTI amps with a usb cable directly to the computer, Band Manager

finds the amp and it works perfectly.

I also installed the software/drivers for the Digi USBAnywhere device and it too appears to be

working properly but I am not able to make Band Manager look at the ethernet connection for the

USB signals.

Can someone who has one of these Digi units please send me a PM so we can trade phone numbers.

I know nothing about IP addresses and ethernet setup. This has to be something super easy.

Or you could email me at.... dan at dankury dot com.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

I sent you a PM last week to give me a call. I can get you through this if you still need help. I will be around Monday, August 17, but then it is back to work until the following Monday.

Bill