duffdog

Firmware 1.1.1.4 major problems

duffdog    0

I am having yet more problems with the 1.4 firmware. I just got back from an outdoor festival and it was very embarrasing to tell the promoter that the reason my subs aren't very loud was because "my new amps don't feel like playing music today"

First problem (big problem): In bridged 4ohm mode, the amp does not output very much power at all-- verified with a scope that it was only sourcing 300watts max into a 4 ohm load. No overheating conditions exist and fan was programmed to maximum. When I put the amp into diagnostic mode, all the power returned and it sounded great. When I pressed the "sel" button to go back to normal mode, the amp reduced its output 10db and indicated clipping. :blink: This happens regardless of attenuator position-- increasing the gain nets no more output at all. Its as if the amp has invented a power ceiling for itself which is completely false.

Next problem: Front panel indicators indicate "clipping" at -20db. Opening system architect confirms that the amp is "clipping" via the LED's but nowhere near maximum output. Other xti amps with other firmware in signal chain have no such problem.

Next problem: Front panel screen indicates "short 1" in all speakers in all modes-- stereo, mono. Same speakers work flawlessly on other xti's with other firmware.

Next problem: Metering led's indicate clipping all the time when there is obviously no clipping in either the output or input. Other xti amps in signal chain have no such problem.

DGlass    0

From your discription it sounds like the amp limiter is turning the amp down this is why you are seeing a low output level and clipping togather. The amp is or thinks it is clipping and the clip limiter is running the output down.

Have you reinstalled the Firmware with the ".s" file and Cloader program I sent you?

duffdog    0
From your discription it sounds like the amp limiter is turning the amp down this is why you are seeing a low output level and clipping togather. The amp is or thinks it is clipping and the clip limiter is running the output down.

Have you reinstalled the Firmware with the ".s" file and Cloader program I sent you?

yes. The new firmware is installed and the amp shows 1.1.1.4 when in diagnostic mode. What is so different from the other firmware that causes very low power output? Is there somewhere I can read what specifically was done in each firmware update?

DGlass    0

yes. The new firmware is installed and the amp shows 1.1.1.4 when in diagnostic mode. What is so different from the other firmware that causes very low power output? Is there somewhere I can read what specifically was done in each firmware update?

Since you have multiple postings on your issues with the 1.1.4.1 firmware I am closing this posting so all the information can be kept in one posting at: http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1857