shafferpilot

amp shutting down

Ok. I have a crown xti2000 pushing a Peavey PV118 for a karaoke dj setup. Everything worked great for a show or two; I even noticed that I had to turn the main power knob on this amp down just to keep it from rattling the glasses off the tables. Now all of a sudden it aint workin right. It shut down on me the other day in my basement (where all my power levels are a quarter of what they are at gigs). I restarted it several times with it working for a minute or so then shutting off again. I thought I had a shorted wire or speaker so I disconnected everything and restarted. Sure enough it shut down again. WTF??? I was thinking heat?? So I looked at the fan in the back of the amp after yet another restart, and it aint movin! Is there a way to check the amp temp thru system architect? What else could be the problem?

here's a little more info that just might give us the answer. Here's what I did:

disconnected speaker wires

played music through the mixer

slowly turned the volume knob on the amp up

it got to a point where the "signal", "-20" green lights, AND the "clip" red light were lit, but NO "-10 light"

I turn it up a little more and the amp shuts off

I sure hope this helps:)

anyone?? :blink: I'm surviving with the other amps and the full range speakers, but my customers aren't afraid to tell me that things sound.... wrong. If all I can do is ship this amp in, tell me cause I gotta get back up and running right away.

Thanks

duffdog    0
anyone?? :blink: I'm surviving with the other amps and the full range speakers, but my customers aren't afraid to tell me that things sound.... wrong. If all I can do is ship this amp in, tell me cause I gotta get back up and running right away.

Thanks

heres a temporary fix because mine were doing the same thing, follow these directions and your problem will probably go away, unless you have a bad speaker. This was from one of the engineers on this board:

However, here is how to check to verify if the amps fans are operational on the updated units.

"Press and Hold in the Center (Prev./Up) button while applying power to the amp. After about 4-5 sec the words "Press Me" will appear in the display. Release the center button. This will put the amp into a diagnostic mode were all the front LEDs will light and the fan should go into full speed.

To clear this mode either depress each of the three front panel buttons once (one at a time) or power down and back up.

A couple of fan modification were made with the 1.1.4.1 firmware:

*Added mode to increase fan speed sensitivity.

If the “Next” button is held down at start up, a more sensitive fan routine will be used. The fan will turn on at 43C and off at 53C. This operation is persistent (non-volatile) so you only have to do it once. To disable it, hold down the “Next” button at start up and the flag will be toggled off.

along with this another new screen to the self diagnostic menu. It displays which fan mode is currently selected. "Fan Hi" or "Fan Lo". Hi is the normal factory default mode, Lo is the new more sensitive alternate fan mode. The mode is selected by holding down the “Next/Down” button during power up. This will toggle between the two modes. In Hi mode, the fan will not turn on at idle; it will turn on at 53C. In LO mode, the fan will turn on at 43C. This mode is persistent and will not be changed by anything except the front panel button held down during power up.

(To get to self diagnose mode hold in the front three buttons togather for about 4 seconds. Then use the Pre/Up and Next/Down buttons to navigate throught he display windows)

*Added a new mode of operation.

If the “Sel/Enter” front panel button is held down during power up, the fan will run at full speed at all times. The only way to exit this mode is to hold the “Sel/Enter” button during power up again, so it acts to toggle this mode on and off. "

D.Glass/Crown Tech Support

If the fan is on all the time, its highly unlikely that the amp will shut down like yours does. Just imagine me pulling my hair out when 8 of my xti4000 HF amps were randomly shutting off during a big show.

T

DGlass    0

Shafferpilot,

Before we can get started we need to verify what firmware version you are running.

To verify the amplifier's firmware version hold in the front three buttons for 3-4 seconds. This will place the amp into a diagnostic mode where you can view the Power Supply temperature, the individual channel temperatures and the firmware version. Using the “Prev/Up” and “Next/Down” buttons you can navigate to the firmware display. To clear out of this mode depress the “SEL” button.

1.1.2.9 is the version I'm running. I have a little more info now. Out of desperation I tried running the sub off of the number 1 channel only, and viola! Out of curiosity I tried running on number two channel only and the symptoms returned. I'm guessing the 2nd channel is blown? How did this happen? I don't push this thing hard, the sub can only handle 600 watts maximum. This setup should be capapble of sending 1000W which would blow the speaker for sure. The speaker is fine???? Is this not a good amp for subs or did I just get a weak one? Or am I an idiot and am just missing something? What is the price of tea in China? All help is appreciated.

Greg

Thanks for the info Tim. It didn't solve the problem, but I'll now be running my amps in the extra cooling mode now for sure... Why is there a mode that provides less cooling anyways? that just doesn't make sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't any reason for less cooling, is there?

DGlass    0
Thanks for the info Tim. It didn't solve the problem, but I'll now be running my amps in the extra cooling mode now for sure... Why is there a mode that provides less cooling anyways? that just doesn't make sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't any reason for less cooling, is there?

The higher cooling mode was made for those people who seemed to think that the amp needed more cooling and wanted a fan control. Se we gave them one. ;)