Crown Audio by Harman

Email to friend
* Your name:
* Your email:
* Friend's email:

How can I power a Sound Grabber II from a sound card?

The mic connector on most sound cards is a 1/8" stereo phone jack with tip = audio, ring = +5 volts DC, and sleeve = shield. The ring terminal on the sound card's mic input connector can supply about +5 volts DC to power the Sound Grabber via a separate wire. You will need to do some custom wiring:

1. Make an adapter: 1/8" mono phone jack > one-conductor shielded cable > 1/8" stereo phone plug. Solder the cable hot lead to the mono phone-jack tip terminal and to the stereo phone-plug tip terminal. Solder the cable shield to the long ground terminal on the stereo phone plug and on the mono phone jack.

2. Tape or tie-wrap a long wire to the Sound Grabber II cable. Solder one end of the long wire to the 1/8" stereo phone plug ring terminal. Solder the other end of the long wire to the Sound Grabber's battery + terminal.

3. Remove the battery from the Sound Grabber. Insert the Sound Grabber's plug into the 1/8" mono phone-jack adapter you just made. Plug the adapter's 1/8" stereo phone plug into the sound-card mic input.