Crown Audio by Harman

Search:     Advanced search

How can I power a Sound Grabber II from a sound card?

The mic connector on most sound cards is a 1/8" stereo phone jack with tip = audio, ring = +5 volts DC, and sleeve = shield . The ring terminal on the sound card's mic input connector can supply about +5 volts DC to power the Sound Grabber via a separate wire. You will need to do some custom wiring:

1. Make an adapter: 1/8" mono phone jack > one-conductor shielded cable > 1/8" stereo phone plug . Solder the cable hot lead to the mono phone-jack tip terminal and to the stereo phone-plug tip terminal. Solder the cable shield to the long ground terminal on the stereo phone plug and on the mono phone jack.

2. Tape or tie-wrap a long wire to the Sound Grabber II cable. Solder one end of the long wire to the 1/8" stereo phone plug ring terminal. Solder the other end of the long wire to the Sound Grabber's battery + terminal.

3. Remove the battery from the Sound Grabber. Insert the Sound Grabber's plug into the 1/8" mono phone-jack adapter you just made. Plug the adapter's 1/8" stereo phone plug into the sound-card mic input.

Others in this Category
document Should I use a Sound Grabber or GLM-100 to mike a piano?
document How do I connect a PZM-185 or Sound Grabber II to my camcorder?
document How can I convert a Sound Grabber to be phantom powered?
document Why does my Sound Grabber have a low signal level?
document Where should I place a Sound Grabber at a wedding so the sound is not boomy?
document How can I record a rock-group demo with Sound Grabber mics?
document Can the Sound Grabber boundary be clear plastic?
document Will a Sound Grabber II work with a computer sound card?
document How can I record a conference with a Sound Grabber II?
document Will a Sound Grabber II work to pick up students in a classroom?
document What connector mates with a Sound Grabber II? How do I order the Sound Grabber II online?
document Is there a mic extension cable for the Sound Grabber II?
document PZM-185 output level vs. Sound Grabber II output level
document Miking flute recitals with flat floor mics
document Which Crown microphone has a connector that fits a mini digital camcorder?
document Sound Grabber II or PZM-185?