• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fppo2005

fppo2005
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:33 PM

---Edit---
I embarked on modifying the headset, and pleasantly, it worked out.  I started out by removing all of the Headset hardware to get the microphone boom by itself.  Then I bought a thin grade, but sturdy, metal rod from Home Depot ($2).  I cut this in half, and bent the metal to fit my head.  It was a little tough, but pliers and patience went a long way.  My new headband goes over both ears and is much more sturdy than the manufacturer supplied headband.  Next I bent the boom inward to be closer to my face (but not much).  While the headband was on my head, I roughly and temporarily taped the Crown boom to the headset over-the-ear extension to make sure that then mic fell on my mouth correctly.  Next, I needed to either cut or bend the extra boom material.  This part was a little scary (there was no turning back).  I decided bending was a better option and would provide for a sturdier result.  I did this slowly, and taped the boom to the headband more and more as I shaped the boom to match the headband near and over the right ear.  Once the entire boom was shaped, I removed the tape and attached the mic to the headband.  I put a little blue tape on the CM311AE boom so that the original black finish wouldn’t get damaged just in case I wanted to make further adjustments.  Then I used black electrical tape and wrapped it around the boom and the headband to attach the two.  That’s what it looks like on other artists, so I tried it.  It worked out great.  I planned on using black vinyl dip, but I thought it looked fine.  Taping it tightly looked clean and was functional.  The CM311 is great to start out with, and now it’s perfect for me.  I cost less than 5 bucks to execute, so I am really happy.  Thanks for the suggestions. biggrin.gif

-----------------------
Hi,

I have a CM-311 AE with a Shure wireless system.  I want to modify the headset so it is like the over-the-ear style you see a lot of artists using these days.  It seems like it would be a little more comfortable while moving and quicker to take off and put on.  Also, my in-ears wouldn't get tangled quite as much.  I am wondering what the best way to do this is.  I can get everything off of the boom, but I am not sure what to do next.  My main questions are…

1.  How can I safely bend or shorten the boom?
2.  What do I make the headband out of?
3.  What kind of tape do I use?  (Electrical)
4.  Any steps, tips or tricks?

Here are two examples of what I am talking about…

Thanks for the help.

#2 MChapman

MChapman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:30 PM

Both examples you show of modified CM-311AE's was done by the artists production company. I know that for a fact because I was a guest of Britney Spears production company to see what they had done to the mic, and to help with suggestions to make it more water resistant (seems someone thought it was a good idea for her to walk thru a waterfall while wearing the mic). They had spent a fair amount of time making a mold of her head and had stainless steel headbands made to custom fit her head. Then they had the brass boom attached to the headband and re-wired. The total headband was then dipped in black liquid vinyl. Because of quick costume changes, they had 5-6 of the custom microphones at each show. We (Crown) do not have the ability or desire to custom manufacture headworn mics, nor do you really want to have to pay for them wink.gif  

J. Mark CHapman
Crown Application Support
<span style='color:blue'>J. Mark Chapman
Crown Application Support Technician</span>

#3 fppo2005

fppo2005
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

Thanks MChapman for the info.  I understand that Crown does not do any custom headsets and that Crown has no resposiblility for me attempting to modify my own.  I am just looking for some advice on how to do this myself.  I think my main problem is how can I attach a new headband to the existing boom ( which is a little too long)?

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(fppo2005 @ May 24 2006, 02:12 PM)
Thanks MChapman for the info.  I understand that Crown does not do any custom headsets and that Crown has no resposiblility for me attempting to modify my own.  I am just looking for some advice on how to do this myself.  I think my main problem is how can I attach a new headband to the existing boom ( which is a little too long)?
View Post

Mark is out of the country for two weeks so I will take over for him on this.

Crown as a policy cannot help in the custom redesign a product.

If anyone else out there in the forum has done a custom headset or would like to help fpp02005 please be my guest. smile.gif

#5 fppo2005

fppo2005
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

Ok, thank you.

#6 rnrstevie

rnrstevie
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ May 26 2006, 01:11 PM) View Post
QUOTE(fppo2005 @ May 24 2006, 02:12 PM)
Thanks MChapman for the info.  I understand that Crown does not do any custom headsets and that Crown has no resposiblility for me attempting to modify my own.  I am just looking for some advice on how to do this myself.  I think my main problem is how can I attach a new headband to the existing boom ( which is a little too long)?
View Post

Mark is out of the country for two weeks so I will take over for him on this.

Crown as a policy cannot help in the custom redesign a product.

If anyone else out there in the forum has done a custom headset or would like to help fpp02005 please be my guest. smile.gif

I have owned a cm 311e headset for many years but have only been able to tolerate two short term usages due to the MAJOR discomfort. I have a larger head than most and even though I am a skilled mechanic my ears suffer no matter how I set it, bend it etc. Also the boom is SHORT of my mouth center at full extension. The sound and feedback characteristics are second to none! I would really love to use it exclusively for my performing rock group. Is there any other hardware available from anybody? I tried the Sennheiser ME3 headset mic and found it comfortable and strong enough but the mic fell way short of the Crown. I will be discreet with any suggestions, especially involving a different company.   Thanks!