• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Phantom

DJ Phantom
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:14 AM

Hi,

I have the XLS 402 and I am haiving problems with clipping. I am sending a 0dB signal to the amplifier and around 3 o'oclock on the amplifiers gain knobs (about 75% turned up), the amp clips. I wouldn't think that it should clip then or at all when a 0dB signal is being sent. Please help, thank you in advanced.

DJ Phantom
David Lenharr
Professional DJ Service

#2 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:26 PM

All depend on gain sensitivity somes amps needs less volts to give you max output. Maybe you 402 may need to be half up or full depending on output voltage of your mixer, just read about gain structure.

QUOTE(DJ Phantom @ May 22 2006, 11:14 AM)
Hi,

I have the XLS 402 and I am haiving problems with clipping. I am sending a 0dB signal to the amplifier and around 3 o'oclock on the amplifiers gain knobs (about 75% turned up), the amp clips. I wouldn't think that it should clip then or at all when a 0dB signal is being sent. Please help, thank you in advanced.

DJ Phantom
David Lenharr
Professional DJ Service
View Post

#3 DJ Phantom

DJ Phantom
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

Yeah i saw that PDF and read it all. I think Ill have to experiment a few times. Thanks.

QUOTE(Stephane @ May 22 2006, 01:26 PM)
All depend on gain sensitivity somes amps needs less volts to give you max output. Maybe you 402 may need to be half up or full depending on output voltage of your mixer, just read about gain structure.

QUOTE(DJ Phantom @ May 22 2006, 11:14 AM)
Hi,

DJ Phantom
David Lenharr
Professional DJ Service
View Post

View Post

#4 DJ Phantom

DJ Phantom
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:17 PM

The voltage shouldn't matter, i don't. As long as I'm sending the my highest part of the signal is 0dB to the amp. It also might be a problem with my mixer, maybe.  I made sure the master fader was not all teh way up, the channel fader was set to 0 and adjusted the naster fader to send a 0dB signal. It is still clipping. It also says I might be able to insert a compressor/limiter, which is what I might end up doing, to prevent clipping.

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:18 PM

Zero on a mixer fader is relative and to some extent the mixer output meters as well. You need to know what the OVU output of the mixer is relative to.
Most Pro audio mixers the 0 VU of the output meter is relative to +4dbu or about 1.23 volts. I have seen some mixers, mainly DJ style mixers, that can output way over that.
(Note: some mixer meters are labeled as db but they don't calrify what db)

The XLS402 has an input gain of 31 db or to put it another way it takes 1.025 volts on the amplifierís input, with the input level control turned up all the way, to get full output.

I would get out my volt meter and a signal generator and verify what the mixer is putting out at 0VU to the amp. You may be overloading the amplifier inputs even with the amp levels turned down.

#6 DJ Phantom

DJ Phantom
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

Thank you both. It is time for some troubleshooting teh equipment.

#7 DJ Phantom

DJ Phantom
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:25 PM

So, my mixer output is 1.25 volts, and the input of the 402 is 1.023. Is there a posible way to drop the voltage of my mixer with a piece of equipment inline? I was looking at a DriveRack PA, which is very nice.

#8 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(DJ Phantom @ Jun 12 2006, 04:25 PM)
So, my mixer output is 1.25 volts, and the input of the 402 is 1.023. Is there a posible way to drop the voltage of my mixer with a piece of equipment inline? I was looking at a DriveRack PA, which is very nice.
View Post

The DriveRack PA would be a good choice since it has a setup for the XLS series already. smile.gif