Used Xti 4000 for first time

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 musicboy71

musicboy71
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:58 PM

I used to use 2 K2's with an external rane crossover to drive my 2 JBL MPro 18" subs, and JBL SR-X 4722 Tops.  Kinda overkill, but it sounded great and I liked running the tops in stereo.

I just used the Xti 4000 for the first time, used the built in crossover and had channel one drive the lows and channel two drive the highs.  This amp kickes *ss as far as volume and bass kick are concerned.  My problem is with the fullness and quality of the highs...some songs seemed to be missing something - i.e. the horns in Van Morrison "Into the Mystic" were very weak.  Is this a normal problem when you make a signal mono, or is the amp lacking???  I may need to go back to using 2 amps.  Thank You

#2 Leaflock

Leaflock
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(musicboy71 @ May 21 2006, 09:58 PM)
I used to use 2 K2's with an external rane crossover to drive my 2 JBL MPro 18" subs, and JBL SR-X 4722 Tops.  Kinda overkill, but it sounded great and I liked running the tops in stereo.

I just used the Xti 4000 for the first time, used the built in crossover and had channel one drive the lows and channel two drive the highs.  This amp kickes *ss as far as volume and bass kick are concerned.  My problem is with the fullness and quality of the highs...some songs seemed to be missing something - i.e. the horns in Van Morrison "Into the Mystic" were very weak.  Is this a normal problem when you make a signal mono, or is the amp lacking???  I may need to go back to using 2 amps.  Thank You
View Post

You probably already did, but just in case, make sure that you're summing the inputs.

ch1+ch2 in the Y options on the front panel.  If you lost anything by going mono, that will fix it (just without channel separation, of course.)

#3 musicboy71

musicboy71
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

I will have to double check if the signal is summed or not.  I just figured if you set up the amp in crossover mode, it would automatically sum the inputs and send that signal to one side of the amp as "highs".  I will look into the problem some more and report back.  I will be glad when the HiQnet software comes out.

#4 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

Hi all,
I was reading the Manual about the DSP section and saw this:

The amplifier is shipped with five QUICK-START PRESETS
to help you get up and running quickly: DSP Off,
Bridge, Crossover, Bridge Subs, and Subharmonic Synthesizer.
The ICONS in the display illuminate to show which
DSP functions are currently in use for each preset.
You can select the presets with the LCD screen and Menu
navigation buttons. If necessary, you can modify these
Quick-Start presets while the amplifier is on. If you turn the
amplifier off and on, the Quick-Start presets will return to
their factory settings.
Also, you can configure up to15 USER PRESETS with
your own settings. When you power off and back on, your
settings will be as they were when you shut off the amplifier.
However, if you recall a user preset, all its DSP will be off --
unless you had saved the preset using System Architect
software (a free download from www.harmanpro.com). Any
custom settings canít be saved by the front panel display,
only by System Architect software.
From the front panel, you can change settings for several of
the amplifierís DSP PROCESSES: Input Y, crossover frequency,
EQ, delay, limiting, and stereo/bridge-mono. The
ICONS in the display illuminate to show which DSP functions
are currently applied.

I wonder if this has anything to do with your problem, did you download and install the System Architect?

Later,
   Bud

#5 musicboy71

musicboy71
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the info...
As far as I know, System Architect currently does not work with the the Xti series yet, but should be supported by the end of this month.  I am awaiting word that the software is compatible before I download it.  I did set the amp to crossover mode, set the limiting to -3, and EQ'd the channel driving the highs.  The only thing I didn't try was to set the input Y....and I am going to cross my fingers and try that tomorrow.

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

Bud

Again the software is not released yet.

#7 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

The Input "Y" works a little different on the Xti amps when using the Xover function than you would normally think. The amplifier's input "Y" is after the front panel level controls in the amplifier's circuitry. Therefore you will only have one front panel volume control (ch1) for both channels when using the Xover and Input "Y" together. However, when the software is released the amplifier GUI has software level controls for each amp channel that can be used to balance the HF and LF channels you would then you use the ch1 front panel level control for overall level setting. This way you won't have someone unbalancing your HF and LF by turning the wrong knob.
If you still want to have individual front panel level controls and use the amplifier's Xover than all you will need to do is use a standard "Y" cable on the inputs and not use the internal "Y" function. smile.gif

#8 musicboy71

musicboy71
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(DGlass @ May 25 2006, 11:32 AM)
The Input "Y" works a little different on the Xti amps when using the Xover function than you would normally think. The amplifier's input "Y" is after the front panel level controls in the amplifier's circuitry. Therefore you will only have one front panel volume control (ch1) for both channels when using the Xover and Input "Y" together. However, when the software is released the amplifier GUI has software level controls for each amp channel that can be used to balance the HF and LF channels you would then you use the ch1 front panel level control for overall level setting. This way you won't have someone unbalancing your HF and LF by turning the wrong knob.
If you still want to have individual front panel level controls and use the amplifier's Xover than all you will need to do is use a standard "Y" cable on the inputs and not use the internal "Y" function. smile.gif
View Post

OK - I have tried every set up possible using only the front controls, and various DSP set-ups.  The problem still exists that the "Highs" are obviousely lacking one channel of audio - any song recorded in Stereo will be lacking using this setup.  I am very disappointed because this amp has more than enough power to drive my 2 subs and 2 tops...but I will still be forced to use 2 amps to provide proper sounding "Highs".  Hopefully the software will be able to correct this problem, otherwise I may buy a Driverack PA to provide crossovcer capabilities, and only use 1 amp.

#9 musicboy71

musicboy71
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:43 PM

Finally got the amp to work correctly...Set up in crossover mode, and CH1 + CH2, or Y-Input both work.  Like stated earlier, you do not have individual control over High or Low volumes, but just turning up the lows on the external EQ for now until software is released.
So far, I think the amp is a great addition to Crown.