xls-402b

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crackers8199

crackers8199
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

I'm considering picking up this older model XLS-402B amplifier to run as my main amp - powering two Samson RS15 speakers.  I have every confidence the unit will sound great, but I'm a bit worried in that I've read reviews that state the cooling fans are very loud on this amp.

I'm a mobile DJ, doing small clubs, weddings, parties, etc - exactly how loud are these fans?  Will the fan noise be noticeable?  Have the newer XLS models decreased the fan noise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

If you have the amps in a very quite room or say a living room and you aren't playing anything you will hear the fans. The fans are there to move air to keep the amps cool if you don't move air than you overheat the amps. Could we put a very different, much quieter fan in the amp?...Maybe but in that price range would anybody be willing to pay the price difference kicking it up to the next price range? $$$$$$
These amplifiers were designed to be a cost effective entry level amplifier. smile.gif
In most cases of "Live Sound" application (not studio or home theatre) the fan noise will not be noticed.

#3 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

I do have one 402 in my livingroom  wall unit and with no music i can barely ear it, can't wait to get a surround processor and 2 more 402's  biggrin.gif  

QUOTE(crackers8199 @ May 21 2006, 02:38 PM)
I'm considering picking up this older model XLS-402B amplifier to run as my main amp - powering two Samson RS15 speakers.  I have every confidence the unit will sound great, but I'm a bit worried in that I've read reviews that state the cooling fans are very loud on this amp.

I'm a mobile DJ, doing small clubs, weddings, parties, etc - exactly how loud are these fans?  Will the fan noise be noticeable?  Have the newer XLS models decreased the fan noise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!
View Post

#4 crackers8199

crackers8199
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

GREAT!  One other question - if I can pick up the older XLS-402B for $240 shipped, are there any new features that should really make me consider paying $400 for a newer XLS-402D?

#5 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:33 PM

Just read the other thread under, somebody asked the question and already answered bye.

QUOTE(crackers8199 @ May 22 2006, 03:15 PM)
GREAT!  One other question - if I can pick up the older XLS-402B for $240 shipped, are there any new features that should really make me consider paying $400 for a newer XLS-402D?
View Post