• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drobins

drobins
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:55 PM

Hi Everyone,
I just purchased 4 CE 1000A's for my home theatre and I have to say they sound amazing compared to the CSL 460's I have been using over the past few years!  

I do have two questions to ask though,
a) is there a break-in period for pro amps like there is for  consumer power amps.
2) the amps themselves have what sounds like a transformer hum (for lack of a better description) I have them in a cabinet so I don't hear them, but I was wondering if this goes away after a while?

thanks in advance!
Dave

#2 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE(drobins @ May 18 2006, 08:55 PM)
Hi Everyone,
I just purchased 4 CE 1000A's for my home theatre and I have to say they sound amazing compared to the CSL 460's I have been using over the past few years! 

a) is there a break-in period for pro amps like there is for  consumer power amps.
2) the amps themselves have what sounds like a transformer hum (for lack of a better description) I have them in a cabinet so I don't hear them, but I was wondering if this goes away after a while?

thanks in advance!
Dave
View Post

Hi Dave,
You asked:
a) is there a break-in period for pro amps like there is for  consumer power amps.

The answer is NO, they need to be ready to go right out of the box.
When it comes to Pro Audio, you need a Power Amp that will get it done
right away, wether your powering up for a local gig down the street or racks and stacks for a major event.
Even your living room!

You also asked:
2) the amps themselves have what sounds like a transformer hum

I have a CE2000 and a CE4000 and I do not hear a Transformer hum.
Is this Hum coming from the Speakers?
In other words when you turn down the Amps do you still hear a hum?

They Amps do have Fans inside to keep them cool but when I am not gigging, my Amps and stacks are in my home and I will power up my PA when playing CD's and DVD's etc.. as well as practicing for the next gig.
I can hear the Fan in my XS900 at a low level audio segment on a DVD movie,
but not my CE amps.

My amps are screwed down tightly front and back in a Amp rack using the Amps rack ears.
If your amps are sitting loosely on a wooden shelf in a Entertainment center like amps do in a home, I am wondering if the Amps fan vibration is being amplified by the wooden shelf.
If you put a towel under the amp and isolate it from the shelf and the fan vibrations, does the noise go away?
Just a thought but I know that you can buy really nice Wooden Amp racks for permanent Installs, such as in a Studio or your home.
I've even seen some really nice racks that slide forward so you can work on the equipment and then slide it back in, as in a home audio system.

Just some thoughts!

You also said,
I have them in a cabinet so I don't hear them

Make sure that air flow is always available to the Amps for proper cooling.
Air is drawn into the front and exits the rear of the amps.
Again if they are loosely in the cabinet, the cabinet may becoming a
resonating cabinet, keep the amps isolated and mounted in place.

Good luck,
      Bud
PS: The K1 and K2 Power amps (because they do not have fans) are good choices for Home Audio as well.
Of course they are a bit more money than a CE1000.
Also for Hum coming from your Speakers due to matching Home Audio to Pro Audio I have seen may use something such as a ART Cleanbox
Link here:ART CleanBox

#3 drobins

drobins
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE(Bud Bolf @ May 18 2006, 11:53 PM)
QUOTE(drobins @ May 18 2006, 08:55 PM)
Hi Everyone,

thanks in advance!
Dave
View Post

Hi Dave,
You asked:

The answer is NO, they need to be ready to go right out of the box.
When it comes to Pro Audio, you need a Power Amp that will get it done
right away, wether your powering up for a local gig down the street or racks and stacks for a major event.
Even your living room!

You also asked:
2) the amps themselves have what sounds like a transformer hum

I have a CE2000 and a CE4000 and I do not hear a Transformer hum.
Is this Hum coming from the Speakers?
In other words when you turn down the Amps do you still hear a hum?

They Amps do have Fans inside to keep them cool but when I am not gigging, my Amps and stacks are in my home and I will power up my PA when playing CD's and DVD's etc.. as well as practicing for the next gig.
I can hear the Fan in my XS900 at a low level audio segment on a DVD movie,
but not my CE amps.

My amps are screwed down tightly front and back in a Amp rack using the Amps rack ears.
If your amps are sitting loosely on a wooden shelf in a Entertainment center like amps do in a home, I am wondering if the Amps fan vibration is being amplified by the wooden shelf.
If you put a towel under the amp and isolate it from the shelf and the fan vibrations, does the noise go away?
Just a thought but I know that you can buy really nice Wooden Amp racks for permanent Installs, such as in a Studio or your home.
I've even seen some really nice racks that slide forward so you can work on the equipment and then slide it back in, as in a home audio system.

Just some thoughts!

You also said,
I have them in a cabinet so I don't hear them

Make sure that air flow is always available to the Amps for proper cooling.
Air is drawn into the front and exits the rear of the amps.
Again if they are loosely in the cabinet, the cabinet may becoming a
resonating cabinet, keep the amps isolated and mounted in place.

Good luck,
      Bud
PS: The K1 and K2 Power amps (because they do not have fans) are good choices for Home Audio as well.
Of course they are a bit more money than a CE1000.
Also for Hum coming from your Speakers due to matching Home Audio to Pro Audio I have seen may use something such as a ART Cleanbox
Link here:ART CleanBox
View Post

thank you very much Bud,
You were right, I took them off the wooden shelves and the hum  sound went way down, as you pointed out having them sitting loose on the wooden shelf created a magnified  sound field?  

the fans are no problem, they only came on once during a test using the IMAX dvd of Nascar (sounded awesome).

the K1 was my first choice but  it ends up roughly 4x the price of the CE 1000 here in Canada. I must say I am going to really like the CE 1000's.
thanks again,
Dave

#4 Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE(drobins @ May 19 2006, 03:55 AM)
Hi Everyone,

thanks in advance!
Dave
View Post

Hi Dave,

I'm also thinkin' about buying those amps and so may I ask what speakers are you using with the CE1000?

Thanx,
Manny

#5 drobins

drobins
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE(Comfortably Numb @ Jun 3 2006, 03:18 AM)
QUOTE(drobins @ May 19 2006, 03:55 AM)
Hi Everyone,

thanks in advance!
Dave
View Post

Hi Dave,

I'm also thinkin' about buying those amps and so may I ask what speakers are you using with the CE1000?

Thanx,
Manny
View Post

Hi Manny,
I am using Paradigm monitor 5's for L & R fronts, cc 370 ctr, adp 450's side .surr & mini monitors for the rear surr.
take care,
Dave