TRANSFORMERS VERSUS SWITCHING TECHNOLOGY

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dawren00

dawren00
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:48 PM

Im not sure if anyone has braught up this topic before but I own 2 K2s and 2 3402 amps.... I ran the same low end signal through both amps to an mp215.  To my surprise the signal that was ran through the k2 sounded like it had more kick to it.  Is this the case for amps with transformers as opposed to amps with switching power technology to include the I-techs........ Any one have similar experiences with this.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:04 AM

The Kick in the low end has more to do with the Damping Factor and the available energy in the power supply than if it has to do with a Transformer based supply or a Switching based supply. You can build a good switching power supply, like that in the I-Techs, that can supply the energy needed on demand or you can build a lower cost one that just meets the amplifiers needs. As yet I have not heard anyone complain the I-Techs were wimpy on the low end that they didn't find something askew in the testing. smile.gif

#3 dawren00

dawren00
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the responce David, to an amateur like mysylf all I looked at was the watts that was put out, Im glad I was able to do my little experiment that showed me that there are alot more specs to look at  besides the watts and price tag....