Average Power Limiter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChristInYouth

ChristInYouth
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:37 PM

Should I set the average power limiter to be the RMS or the peak of my speakers?

#2 guyofsound

guyofsound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

You should set your limiters so that you can't clip your amps, a little under clipping is the best to keep you from blowing speakers up.

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:55 AM

guyofsound,
These limiters are a little different than the outboard limiters that are normally used in the signal chain prior to an amplifier. Outboard limiters work off of the line level signal going to the amplifier. The I-Tech Power limiters work on the output of the amplifier Averaging the output power available. Setting the I-Tech Avg.Pwr Limiter to just before the amp clips will not work. The "Average Power" Limiters are specific to the power (voltage and current being sensed for the output) of an amplifier channel and the Nominal Load Impedance entered into the amps memory. For the I-Tech Avg. Power Limiter you need to calculate the Maximum Power Load and the Nominal Load Impedance the speakers present to the amplifier channel. Enter these numbers into the amp and onboard processor will take it from there. If a speaker or speakers are added or taken away, on a channel, these numbers would need to recalculated and change.smile.gif

ChristInYouth
The Avg. Power limiter is designed to regulate the long term output of the amplifier by setting an average power limit that corresponds with the speaker's long-term power rating.
Speakers generally have three power specs even, if they are not listed. Continuous, Program and Peak. Continuous is general the RMS power rating. The Program Power rating is basically there so the amplifier has 3db of headroom for peaks in the signal source and the Peak is the short term power rating.
You should use the RMS value of the speaker(s) and the Nominal Load impedance of the speaker(s) attached to an amplifier's output channel.