Crown for a Bass?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Karma51

Karma51
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first post and Iím not sure if Iím in the right place, so hopefully this doesnít sound too bad.  Iíve looked through the amp forum and have yet to find anyone trying to use any Crown products in a similar manner as myself, so I figure Iím either being innovative, or stupid.  Iím looking to use a Tech 21 Sans Amp for EQ on my bass guitar for live performances, but I was told I need regular power amp (not an EQíd guitar head) for this scenario.  The speakers Iím using are both Ampeg, the specs on them are:
Models: SVT-18 (one 18Ē sub) and SVT-410HLF (four 10Ē subs w/ a horn)
Both have an impedance rating of 4 ohms, 1000w power handling, and 500w RMS.

My original plan was to go from my bass, to the Sans amp, into a power amp (I was told one of the CE series), and into the speakers, but I didnít know which amp to use.  After reading a lot of the other posts on the forum, Iíve developed even more questions.

1. Is a Crown amp actually what I need?
2. Am I going to need to throw a crossover into the system between the Sans amp and the power amp?
3. Am I going to need multiple amps either because of the crossover, or because of my 2 speaker cabinets?
4. Which amp would work best for the speakers Iím using?

Hopefully someone can make sense of my rambling post.  Thanks in advance.

#2 Karma51

Karma51
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:45 PM

So, it's been about a week since I've posted, and I see it's been read about 60 times but I've gotten no reply yet......normally I'm pretty patient, but can someone let me in on if I'm in the wrong place, or is everyone stumped on this?

#3 Leaflock

Leaflock
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(Karma51 @ May 9 2006, 05:45 PM)
So, it's been about a week since I've posted, and I see it's been read about 60 times but I've gotten no reply yet......normally I'm pretty patient, but can someone let me in on if I'm in the wrong place, or is everyone stumped on this?
View Post

What's the impedance of the speaker cabinets?  What are there power ratings?  Do they have parallel inputs on them so you can daisy chain them?

#4 Russ Lund

Russ Lund
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Karma51 @ May 9 2006, 05:45 PM)
View Post

You won't need a crossover.The EQ is a good idea.Are you using a "stomp box" or some sort of processor for your bass guitar.If your bass signal is mono I'd run your 18 on one channel and your 4-10's on the other side so you can set them differently if needed.Russ.

#5 Karma51

Karma51
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:00 PM

ok, for the first question:
And they both have parallel inputs for daisy chaining.

...the second question: the Sans Amp is somewhat of a "stomp box" style processor.  The best way to explain it is, you can program up to 3 EQ settings that are selectable in a "foot switch" style format.  I also occasionally use a Boss digital delay pedal.

Thanks.

#6 Leaflock

Leaflock
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(Karma51 @ May 10 2006, 02:00 PM)

...the second question: the Sans Amp is somewhat of a "stomp box" style processor.  The best way to explain it is, you can program up to 3 EQ settings that are selectable in a "foot switch" style format.  I also occasionally use a Boss digital delay pedal.

Thanks.
View Post

Get an Xti1000.  500W per channel at 4ohms, plus other fun goodies you can read about on the Crown home page.

#7 Russ Lund

Russ Lund
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE(Leaflock @ May 10 2006, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE(Karma51 @ May 10 2006, 02:00 PM)

...the second question: the Sans Amp is somewhat of a "stomp box" style processor.† The best way to explain it is, you can program up to 3 EQ settings that are selectable in a "foot switch" style format.† I also occasionally use a Boss digital delay pedal.

Thanks.
View Post

Get an Xti1000.  500W per channel at 4ohms, plus other fun goodies you can read about on the Crown home page.
View Post

The only decision regarding an amplifer is the power rating(get as much as you can afford).The sound will be detrerimned by the spkr+cab and effects.The amp will do the rest.Russ.

#8 Mike Caldwell

Mike Caldwell
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

Hello
If you wanted to truly "bi-amp" your system you would need a crossover between the Sans Amp and the power amp. You could use one channel for the lows going to your 18 cabinet and the other channel for low mids and up going to your 4x10 cabinet. Bi-amping would make the system cleaner, one big reason would be that both the 18 and the 4x10 cabinets would not be reproducing the same frequencies or at least trying to. You can get a lot of bad interaction between the two cabinets with all kinds of phase cancellation and group delay problems going on.As far as an EQ depending on what you are looking for I would say the Sans Amp would be all that you would need.

Mike Caldwell

#9 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:03 PM

Hi Karma,
To start you off there are a lot of good Bass Forums.
One is Talk Bass Forum

I do not see a lot of Bass rigs with Power Amps rather than Bass Amps.
I just attended a Festival called SunFest that is a 4 day festival held down here in West Palm Beach Florida.
There are 3 stages and everyone from local Bands, to touring pro's and since I play Bass in a local band, I check out each band and the rigs that they play.
Last year it was by far Eden rigs that dominated, with the Eden World Tour (WT) 800 over Eden Cabs 410 and one 15" cab.
Coming in second was the GK800's with Hartke 410's over single 15.
This year it was by far the Gallien Krueger (GK) 800's over the Hartke 410 and single 15 cabs.
I saw a few Ampeg SVT's, a Trace Elliot, and Lynrd Skynrd uses nice Tan Fender combo with a 810 Fender cab.
I also saw less 810 cabs from years past and no matter the Amp head it was 410's over a single 15 as the cabs of choice.
I also saw a couple of GK Neo 212 over the 412 cabs with 12" speakers and they sounded pretty good, also powered with a GK800 head.

I say all this to not dispell your wanting a power amp setup, but to point out that to get what is already contained in GK, Ampeg, Eden heads and many others is to do what they do.
They all have Parametrics and you should too and you need to find a great PreAmp and Tone that you want.
Every Bass player will agree that a GK head has different Tone than a Ampeg has or a Hartke or a Eden etc...etc...
These are easily available for you to try out and decide what you like.
Where can you try out your setup that you are building?
In other words it would really suck if after you bought the Power Amp and PreAmp, and whatever else you decide on and put it all together, as to what it will ultimately sound like!
It is a experiment in Sound and Tone!
I am in the process of putting a new Bass rig together and doubt that I will do it the Power amp/Preamp process.

The one thing that you have not communicated here is What do you want your Bass Sound and Tone to Be?
This is often a very personal thing from Player to Player, be it Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Drummer etc..
The Search for your Sound!
Just be cautious and do a lot of research as you are doing here.

Good Luck,
    Bud
PS. Under Amp troubleshooting is a post by Taustin Powers that has a K2 and a Read Purity Preamp for Bass. Link here: K2 as Bass Rig
Here is a Forum Discussion on Tone : MusicPlayer Forum
Check out the, Read Purity Preamp and others here: BassTasters You can actually listen to Equipment.

#10 jkdahlman

jkdahlman
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:16 AM

Hi, just to toss in another $.02, I picked up an Xti1000 to replace a Bryston 4B in my bass rig. Best thing I've done in years for my sound & back. I prefer the pre/amp style rig for it's versatility. I play extended range basses (6+ strings) and like a very clear, clean tone so, my needs are a bit different than the average 4 stringer. YMMV. I am waiting for the new software release so I can program different setups depending on which set of cabs I'm taking out. The Xti100 is pretty amazing, I'm hearing things that the Bryston was masking.
HTH,
    John