CE 2000 Speaker Connection - Speakon Connector

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TXrocks

TXrocks
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:42 PM

I would like some suggestions regarding the best way to set up my system.

It's old, but simple:

2 ea Peavey SP2 speakers

1 ea CE-2000 amp

I want the most power output.

Current setup:

Stereo/Bridge-Mono Switch set to "Bridge"

1/4" plug from mixer output into channel 1

Using Neutrik Speakon NL4FC connector from output Channel 1

I'm wiring the speakers in parallel and here's how the Speakon connector is wired:

Both speakers + to the +1 and both speakers - to the +2.

I'm using 12 gauge speaker wire and I'm having a hard time getting both leads into one of the connector positions.

Is there a better way to set this up?  i.e. Can I use the bridge setting and the +1 and -1 for one speaker and the +2 and -2 for the other speaker in the same connector?

Thanks

#2 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:02 AM

Hi TX,
OK Let's get started here.
Your Peavey SP2's are 500 watts and 1000 watts Program and 2000 watts Peak.
Your correct that using the CE2000 Bridged is the way to go here.
These are 8 ohm cabs so two SP2's paralleled together equals 4 ohms.
A CE2000 at 4 ohms Bridged is 1950 watts so that is 975 watts per cab

You asked,
Can I use the bridge setting and the +1 and -1 for one speaker and the +2 and -2 for the other speaker in the same connector?

Quick answer is NO.

The only connections at the amp in Bridged mode is 1+ for Positive and 2+ for the Negative and 1+/1- at the SP2's.
The only time you can use 2+/2- is if you are Biamping the SP2, which you are not.

Since you are not Bi-Amping these cabs you want to use the Full Range NL4 Speakon connector or 1/4" jack and 1+ for the positive and 1- for the negative.
If your SP2 is the older pre Speakon connector and just has the 1/4" connectors
then the Tip is Positive and the Shield is the Negative.

Do you have the SP2 Speakon, 2004 version?

At the CE2000 you have a couple of options.

1) You use a NL4 speakon, wired for the Amp end at 1+ for the positive and 2+ for the negative, plugged into the Channel 1 speakon outlet.
2) Or you use the Red Binding posts, still 1+ (Pos) and 2+ (Neg)

The speaker cab connections depend on wether you have the Speakon connectors or just the 1/4" jacks.

Since both versions have 1/4" jacks I will cover that now.

Wire the Amp either at the Binding posts 1+/2+ or a Speakon NL4 wired 1+ and 2+
At the other end of your 12 gauge cable put on a large 1/4" plug.

Like this: Large 1/4" 12 Gauge 9mm cable
Or this: ProCo Large Plug
Or this one for big Speaker cable up to 11mm: Large 1/4" plug 12 gauge 11.2mm cable
For 12 ga cable I like Pro Co. Link here: Pro Co 12 Gauge wire Bulk
I have also purchased Carol 12ga wire at Home Depot but I like ProCo and Coleman cable the best.
If you have Graingers near you they sell Coleman wire, Hubble plugs etc...
Grainger Electric Supply

OK back to wiring up your cabs.
Just remember that with 1/4" plugs that the Tip is the Positive and the Shield is the Negative, from the other 1/4" jack on the cab you can plug in a 1/4" to 1/4' speaker cable to the other cab.

If you do not want to run a speaker cord between Speaker cabs, let's say that they are spread apart, then you could have speaker cables that are Banana plugs to 1/4" (you can even buy them this way already made up) and stack two Banana plugs into each other at the binding posts, then you could run one cable to one SP2 and another to the other SP2.
The two SP2's will parallel at the Binding posts and create a 4 ohm load to the Amp.

I personally do not like Banana's and 1/4" plugs because they can easily be pulled out, plus a 1/4" plug can be pulled half way out and cause a short to the Amp.
If it was me (and I did) I would Install a Rack panel like this:Pre punched Rack Panel
I would then install two of these:Neutrik NL4MP-ST
I purchased a short 14/4 cord (14gauge with 4 conductors) on one end I twisted 2 wires together for the Positives and 2 wires for the Negatives,  I then inserted the 2 positive wires into the Red Binding post for 1+ next insert the other two wires for Negatives into the other red binding post at 2+.
You could also inset the wires into a Yellow Crimp connector and insert that into the Binding post rather than the bare wires, that's what I did.
Route the 14/4 cable (12/4 is too big) to the Rack panel and the two NL4MP-ST's with the 2 positive wires, install one into the 1+ on one NL4 and the other positive wire to 1+ on the other NL4, do the same thing for the two negative wires, one to 1- on one NL4 and the other to the 1- on the other NL4.
You have just wired your Amp Rack and now have 2 NL4MP Chassis Speakons wired 1+ and 1- now you can just twist in two Speakon speaker cables and go to each speaker!
After the Gig disconnect your Speakon cables and put on your Amp rack panel.
You should have your Amp in a Rack anyway.

In my Amp Rack, I also installed a Neutrik PowerCon chassis connector into the rack panel on the right side and then cut the IEC Power Cable to length, installed small .187 crimps to the wires and pushed them onto the tabs for the PowerCon.
Rather than Install a PowerCon cable mount to the part that you cut with the plug
I purchased an 8 foot 12/3 power cord and installed a blue PowerCon cable mount with a Hubble Plug.
Now your power, disconnects from the rack just like your Speakons do.
Your Amp Rack is wired to go, just do not lose or forget the PowerCon Power Cord
for the Gig, or you will be looking for a IEC cord to plug into your amp.
I made a spare and in 2 years I've never needed it, I make sure to keep my Power cords together.
Here is a link to the PowerCon's:
Chassis:PowerCon Chassis Mount
Power Cord:PowerCon Cable

I hope that all this helps you in your quest.

Good Luck,
      Bud

#3 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

Hi again TX,
You said,

1/4" plug from mixer output into channel 1

Is there nothing between your Mixer and the CE2000 Inputs?
A Crossover or EQ?

More info needed.

Later,
   Bud