Bridged verses Stereo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn C

Glenn C
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

I am going to buy 2 SRX738 JBL and thought of using 2 XLS 402 bridged mono, one for left and one for right. This will put out 900w. Is this set up better than using one XLT 802 in stereo 800w? Just asking others thoughts. This is only for audio sounds in home like XM radio and CD's. I will also be using dbx 120a subharmonic Synthesizer and dbx 1215 dual band EQ. Thanks for any thoughts and guideness. GLENN smile.gif [COLOR=purple]

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

Keep your loads to 8 or 4-ohms per amp and using the amps in bridge-mono should be fine - other than the cost of having two amps instead of one. But if you already have them use them.
I have posted in a another message a document with how to wireup the custom "Y" cable to Bridge the XLs amplifiers.

#3 Glenn C

Glenn C
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Apr 21 2006, 02:32 PM)
Keep your loads to 8 or 4-ohms per amp and using the amps in bridge-mono should be fine - other than the cost of having two amps instead of one. But if you already have them use them.
I have posted in a another message a document with how to wireup the custom "Y" cable to Bridge the XLs amplifiers.
View Post

Hello David,

Thank you for your comments. I did forget to say it was going to used in 8 ohms. I have to say that the owners manual states, when using bridge mode connect one line input to the channel 1 (only and speakon top connector out only. Nothing is said about any Y connectors. Where is this coming from? If I do something not written in this manual, I will be held in account for damages to my epquipment, amps and or speakers. Sorry for questioning you but please clear this issue that you brought up. I do not have these amps yet, I said that I was going to be buying these items and which set up would be better and more effective. I saved a copy of that Y connector page you offered the other guy.
Thanks, GLENN

#4 jeenie67

jeenie67

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(Glenn C @ Apr 21 2006, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE(DGlass @ Apr 21 2006, 02:32 PM)
View Post

Hello David,

Thank you for your comments. I did forget to say it was going to used in 8 ohms. I have to say that the owners manual states, when using bridge mode connect one line input to the channel 1 (only and speakon top connector out only. Nothing is said about any Y connectors. Where is this coming from? If I do something not written in this manual, I will be held in account for damages to my epquipment, amps and or speakers. Sorry for questioning you but please clear this issue that you brought up. I do not have these amps yet, I said that I was going to be buying these items and which set up would be better and more effective. I saved a copy of that Y connector page you offered the other guy.

Hi, you could try using one amp for each channel. The less cabling you use the better, also keep everthing ...balanced inputs to the amps and watch input requirements to the source output...jeenie67
Thanks, GLENN
View Post

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:13 PM

The Custom "Y" Cable is discussed in the Operations Manual in the Bridge-Mono SETUP section. Since the XLS series does not have Bridge-Mono switch to put it into that mode you have to do it the old fashion way.

Check out other posting in this forum were we discuss the Custom "Y" cable and Bridge-Mono setup of an amplifier. smile.gif

The new version of the XLS, the Dseries (XLS402D), will have a Bridge-Mono switch and the custom "Y" cable will not be needed. smile.gif

#6 Glenn C

Glenn C
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Apr 25 2006, 04:13 PM)
The Custom "Y" Cable is discussed in the Operations Manual in the Bridge-Mono SETUP section. Since the XLS series does not have Bridge-Mono switch to put it into that mode you have to do it the old fashion way.

Check out other posting in this forum were we discuss the Custom "Y" cable and Bridge-Mono setup of an amplifier. smile.gif

The new version of the XLS, the Dseries (XLS402D), will have a Bridge-Mono switch and the custom "Y" cable will not be needed. smile.gif
View Post

David,

Thanks for clearing that issue. Now I understand why you said that about the Y. I was reading, using and intended on buying the D series of the XLS. That is why I said it had no info on a Y. Cleared now, Thanks.

GLENN