CE2000 Power-On Problem

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 A_Guy

A_Guy
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:55 AM

Now i am totally confused, the 2 boards that i replaced had a fault that came and went. They worked sometimes and then sometimes didn't work. I could not do business like that, sent them of to the crown repair center here in south africa and they tell me that one channel of each amplifier is totally fried. I find this very hard to believe considering that they work sometimes and sometimes they don't.

How can one channel be fried one day and not the next?

#32 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:22 AM

Well like I said there is something else going on here and you are going to have to dig a little deeper or spend the money to have someone else service it if you don't want to go to component level. Also it is still possible it could be the transformer or a regulator that is intermitantly bad.

No you are sying the channel is bad but in the last posting you said it was pasing audio but the clip light was on?????????????? huh.gif

#33 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(A_Guy @ May 15 2006, 05:09 PM)
well if the fault lights came on i would say there is maybe a problem, but it isnt the fault light's. it's the clip lights, they are on and not going off. the amplifier still play's fine. did a test today, the audio is still clear. it's just the clip light's seem to be stuck on.

I am not that sure if there is something wrong with the transformer, as i said, the last 2 boards i bought worked fine for quite sometime before giving any problems. i am pretty sure it's the humidity that messed them up.
View Post

Ok if it is just a clip light and the amp is passing audio than something is telling the light to come on. This could be a faulty Q101 the transistor ahead of the Clip LED. If Q101 tests alright than check ahead of it to U102. U102 is a LM339. Check to see if there is a reason for it to be triggered. If it is being triggered and is not faulty then look ahead of it to U101-D and D122. If they check out alright then look ahead of it to U102-D if looks alright than look to see why it is being triggered. If it is actually being triggered than there is an error signal coming from U101-C. However, if there is an Error signal from U101-C than U102-D should also be triggered and the output relay should have been kicked in shutting off the output of the channel.
Note: If it is channel two with the Clip light all the above mentioned numbers would be in the 200 range instead of 100.
However since the amp was submerged under water I would still be looking at the transformer an intermittent sauce of starting board problems especially the 24v supply side.
As I said before you are going to have to look a little deeper into what is causing the problem. Again there is more here than meets the eye as to why you are loosing so many boards. And unless the amp is being drenched by humidity I don't see that as being a major problem. If they are being "drenched" with Humidity then you may even have problems with rust and/or oxidation. If this is the case were there is water condensing in the amp anything that pulls air through it would have a problem in that situation.
Since this issue happened in one evening, while playing, I still feel there is another source of the problem either internal or external.

#34 A_Guy

A_Guy
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:57 AM

hmm... seems everything has gotten abit confusing here.

1st set of boards : The origional ones that came with the amplifier, played realy well. didnt have a trouble in the world untill they where put 1 foot under water.

2nd set of boards : Newer model with a softstart, put them in, connected everything up. and they played great for quite some time, probibly about 6 month's or so. (can check if i realy need to) then at a gig for some reason they didnt want to switch on.

Turn them on and the fault light's flash like expected, but when they stop the green power light slowly dim's out and the amplifier is compleatly dead. the thing with this fault is that it is sometimes there and sometimes they just work perfectly.

these are the boards i sent away and the crown repair center here tell's me the one channel is blown. I find this hard to believe cause they sometimes work and they sometimes dont.

3rd set of boards : These are new, got them last week monday, had them installed by tuesday, and pretty much tested them the entire week till friday. Friday took them to the club, put them in and they sounded AWSOME. Then i left the club to go dj elsewhere (9ish). got a msg on my mobile at aroudn about 12:45, the amplifier clip light's are on nomater what the volume, amplifier was turned on and off, still the clip light's remained on.

I went over to the club to take a look(1am ish), was realy wierd, the amplifier was still playing perfectly, but the clip light's where still glowing.

even if i plug it in now the light's are still glowing red, but it still play's without a problem.

#35 A_Guy

A_Guy
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:06 AM

could of just been a faulty board, hence the reason it's just one amp.

humidity was 90% here about 2 month's ago. guess you can call that drenched. it's heading for winter now so humidity wont be a problem for a while, plan to have aircon installed in the dj booth by summer.

#36 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(A_Guy @ May 16 2006, 07:57 AM)
hmm... seems everything has gotten abit confusing here.

1st set of boards : The origional ones that came with the amplifier, played realy well. didnt have a trouble in the world untill they where put 1 foot under water.

2nd set of boards : Newer model with a softstart, put them in, connected everything up. and they played great for quite some time, probibly about 6 month's or so. (can check if i realy need to) then at a gig for some reason they didnt want to switch on.

Turn them on and the fault light's flash like expected, but when they stop the green power light slowly dim's out and the amplifier is compleatly dead. the thing with this fault is that it is sometimes there and sometimes they just work perfectly.

these are the boards i sent away and the crown repair center here tell's me the one channel is blown. I find this hard to believe cause they sometimes work and they sometimes dont.

3rd set of boards : These are new, got them last week monday, had them installed by tuesday, and pretty much tested them the entire week till friday. Friday took them to the club, put them in and they sounded AWSOME. Then i left the club to go dj elsewhere (9ish). got a msg on my mobile at aroudn about 12:45, the amplifier clip light's are on nomater what the volume, amplifier was turned on and off, still the clip light's remained on.

I went over to the club to take a look(1am ish), was realy wierd, the amplifier was still playing perfectly, but the clip light's where still glowing.

even if i plug it in now the light's are still glowing red, but it still play's without a problem.
View Post

I would have the circuit back tracked from the LED, as described earlier, to see why the clip light(s) are coming on. It has to be somewere between Q101/201 and U102-D/202-D as you are still passing audio.
Is this just one amp now or both?

#37 A_Guy

A_Guy
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

just the one amplifier

#38 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

Alright then.. It sounds like something that happened to that specific amp either during install or during the night it was being used. If you have the schematic and can get someone to follow the previous items listed to checkout you should be able to locate what is causing the amp to show clip all the time and still pass audio. I would start with the LED's driver transistor Q101/201