A question about my CE2000

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kevindj4u

kevindj4u
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:42 PM

Ok, my question is, I turn on my amp and it starts up just fine, but the fan doesn't spin. Is that typical? Does it only run when it starts to get hot, or is it a bad fan? All of my previous amps had the fans spinning as soon as I turn them on. Thanks in advance!

#2 coherent_guy

coherent_guy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(kevindj4u @ Apr 7 2006, 11:42 PM)
Ok, my question is, I turn on my amp and it starts up just fine, but the fan doesn't spin. Is that typical? Does it only run when it starts to get hot, or is it a bad fan? All of my previous amps had the fans spinning as soon as I turn them on. Thanks in advance!
View Post

Hi, Your fan is acting normally, it is what Crown calls a proportional speed fan, it seems to be a "smart fan" and only runs when necessary.  I have a CE1000 which is very similar to your amp.  At turn on and idle, the fan won't run.  I had to crank it up for a while to get it to come on, I also thought it might not be working at first.  I started using it in bridged mode to drive a subwoofer, and the fan came on after a while.  I noticed when I stopped the signal source, the fan almost immediately slowed down, as if the fan speed controller was tracking the input signal and not only the temperature.  The fan speed seems to be continuously variable, not in steps like low, medium, and high.  This behavior is different from how fans worked in the past, and I think it is an improvement.  Why have a fan on when it is not needed, creating noise and pulling possibly dusty air through the unit constantly, there will likely be less dust build up inside the amp with this technique as well as minimizing fan noise.  The CE series page on Crown's website mentions this feature.  In my experience the fan will not come on when driving easy loads at low power outputs.  Given that a CE2000 has more power output capability than my amp, it may take even more power demand to start your fan.  Perhaps Crown should have warned users accustomed to the way fans worked in the past that the fan will run only when needed.  Enjoy your amp!