Crown-crossover-JBL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Karel

Karel
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hi! I'm using CROWN apms and JBL speakers with built it passive crossovers. The speakers are JBL MPro 225..and subs MPro 225S. So the chain is mix-active dbx crossover- CROWN power-speakers with passive crossovers.There is no option for bi-amp(in these speakers). Should I disconnect the passive crossover in speakers/subs? How much power am I loosing in this audio chain?(Am I loosing more then just a part of power?) Nobody was able to advise me yet-if somebody knows the answer, please let me know! The system works nice-no problems, but that might be just my subjective opinion! Thank you very much!

#2 bourbon108

bourbon108
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:03 PM

If everything's working fine, I certainly wouldn't disconnect anything inside the speakers.
If you want to biamp (and have the $$), look at the SRX700 series.

Rich

#3 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:27 AM

Hi Karel,
  Check post below. I had to leave puter for a sec and when I came back I must
have hit reply rather than edit.

#4 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:01 AM

Hi Karel,
First things first, how are you planning on using these cabs?
See the guide here"
JBL User Guide

Are you using one amp as on page 14 or two amps as in the scenario on page 15?
Once I know that I can help you further.

You ask:
Should I disconnect the passive crossover in speakers/subs?

For the 255S Sub the simple answer is NO!
In any configuration, the Low pass filter would not be a problem.

For the 225 I'd leave the internal Crossover in, unless you are going to Bi-Amp this cab. I would check with JBL on Bi-Amping these cabs and / or disconnecting the Internal crossover in the 225 cabs, you would hate to void a Warranty and if no warranty exists you will still be re-wiring the cab.

To Bi-Amp the 225 you would be using a Crossover and one amp for the two 15" drivers and another Amp for the Horn.
The external Crossover would be taking the place of the Internal crossover that you disconnected.
Then use a seperate amp for the 255S Sub, this is a full Tri-Amped System, ie. 3 amps.
You would need a 3 way Crossover.

Though if you are using JBL speakers and Crown amps you should use a DBX DriveRack for a Crossover and Processing your System.
You could also save to a preset each place that you play, so when you go back there you just pull up the preset and you are good to go.
You should at least be using two amps and a Crossover with these cabs for best performance!

Let me know your setup and what you are looking to do with these cabs.

Later,
    Bud

#5 Karel

Karel
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(Bud Bolf @ Mar 30 2006, 10:01 PM)
Hi Karel,
First things first, how are you planning on using these cabs?
See the guide here"
JBL User Guide

Are you using one amp as on page 14 or two amps as in the scenario on page 15?
Once I know that I can help you further.

You ask:
Should I disconnect the passive crossover in speakers/subs?

For the 255S Sub the simple answer is NO!
In any configuration, the Low pass filter would not be a problem.

For the 225 I'd leave the internal Crossover in, unless you are going to Bi-Amp this cab. I would check with JBL on Bi-Amping these cabs and / or disconnecting the Internal crossover in the 225 cabs, you would hate to void a Warranty and if no warranty exists you will still be re-wiring the cab.

To Bi-Amp the 225 you would be using a Crossover and one amp for the two 15" drivers and another Amp for the Horn.
The external Crossover would be taking the place of the Internal crossover that you disconnected.
Then use a seperate amp for the 255S Sub, this is a full Tri-Amped System, ie. 3 amps.
You would need a 3 way Crossover.

Though if you are using JBL speakers and Crown amps you should use a DBX DriveRack for a Crossover and Processing your System.
You could also save to a preset each place that you play, so when you go back there you just pull up the preset and you are good to go.
You should at least be using two amps and a Crossover with these cabs for best performance!

Let me know your setup and what you are looking to do with these cabs.

Later,
    Bud
View Post

Thanx! That is exactly what I think...about the DriveRack. Well I have 4x Mpro 225, 2X their Subs MproS using , 2 CE 1000..these are bridged for subs. 2 CE 2000 , then some  more amps (no Crown..but the same rating like CE 2000) I'm changing the setup here and there...to find the best way...at the present time I have CE 1000 bridged for a sub, CE 2000 bridged for Mpro 225. Monitors JRX 112 JBL running with 2x CE's 1000 or other brand amps. I know, that you will tell me,that I should use CE  2000 for subs! Like I said the system is working very nice...Crown and JBL..I was always a big fan for them. I was just wondering if somebody did biamping on this configuration in order to get more power, which I believe is lost in the passive crossover.( or is it a big lost?) I did forget the warranty deal! Thank you! This is fantastic website...enormous help for green soundmans like me! I appreciate your help sir! Karel