unbalanced to balanced connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ewnowak

ewnowak
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:51 AM

Where can I get an audio cable with a male unbalanced RCA jack at one end and a male balanced 1/4" jack at the other end? I need this to connect from the single subwoofer RCA output on my integrated receiver to the 1/4" input on a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. The output of the BFD (being used as an equalizer)  will then go to the input on my Crown K2 amplifier. I spent over an hour on the internet trying to find something suitable and had no luck. Any info will be much appreciated.

#2 jeenie67

jeenie67

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(ewnowak @ Mar 29 2006, 05:51 AM)
Where can I get an audio cable with a male unbalackanced RCA jack at one end and a male balanced 1/4" jack at the other end? I need this to connect from the single subwoofer RCA output on my integrated receiver to the 1/4" input on a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. The output of the BFD (being used as an equalizer)  will then go to the input on my Crown K2 amplifier. I spent over an hour on the internet trying to find something suitable and had no luck. Any info will be much appreciated.

Hello, do you want a balanced line, or just make a connection?  To take an UNbalanced signal, no matter what the terminating end (RCA jack, XLR, .250 jack or plug) and make it a BALANCED line or signal the easiest and cheapest way is with an ART CleanBOX, stereo balanced/unbalanced converter( available at  partsexpress.com) $49. Goes both ways too (balanced to unbalanced and has RCA and XLR inputs/ outputs. For .250 plugs rewire the plug or use an adapter (also available $4-5) Never seen a cable RCA to XLR but the adapter above will do the job, then just plug a guitar cord into it. Eugene @ jeenie67

#3 ewnowak

ewnowak
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:47 AM

"Hello, do you want a balanced line, or just make a connection?  To take an UNbalanced signal, no matter what the terminating end (RCA jack, XLR, .250 jack or plug) and make it a BALANCED line or signal the easiest and cheapest way is with an ART CleanBOX, stereo balanced/unbalanced converter( available at  partsexpress.com) $49. Goes both ways too (balanced to unbalanced and has RCA and XLR inputs/ outputs. For .250 plugs rewire the plug or use an adapter (also available $4-5) Never seen a cable RCA to XLR but the adapter above will do the job, then just plug a guitar cord into it. Eugene @ jeenie67"

Hi jeenie67, The picture shown at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....5&&#post7389165 tells the whole story.

#4 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:05 AM

Where can I get an audio cable with a male unbalackanced RCA jack at one end and a male balanced 1/4" jack at the other end? I need this to connect from the single subwoofer RCA output on my integrated receiver to the 1/4" input on a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. The output of the BFD (being used as an equalizer)  will then go to the input on my Crown K2 amplifier. I spent over an hour on the internet trying to find something suitable and had no luck. Any info will be much appreciated.

Hi,
If you are trying to go from a RCA plug to a 1/4" Stereo or TRS plug it should be rather easy to make.
I would buy some Microphone 2 conductor Shielded cable.
Solder up the RCA end with Shield to Ground and Insert both single conductors into the Tip of the RCA plug then at the TRS 1/4" plug solder shield to Shield (ground) then the 2 conductors at the 1/4" plug one will go to the Tip and one will go to the Ring.
However, going from home stereo equipment to Pro Audio equipment sometimes likes to create a nasty Hum.
There are posts here and elsewhere about this subject.
If so, maybe something like the Art Cleanbox will help.
I'd do a Search on that unit and see what you find.
You could make up the cable that I described in less than a half hour and for $5.00 to$10.00, and give it a try.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
      Bud

#5 ewnowak

ewnowak
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

"Hi,
If you are trying to go from a RCA plug to a 1/4" Stereo or TRS plug it should be rather easy to make.
I would buy some Microphone 2 conductor Shielded cable.
Solder up the RCA end with Shield to Ground and Insert both single conductors into the Tip of the RCA plug then at the TRS 1/4" plug solder shield to Shield (ground) then the 2 conductors at the 1/4" plug one will go to the Tip and one will go to the Ring.
However, going from home stereo equipment to Pro Audio equipment sometimes likes to create a nasty Hum.
There are posts here and elsewhere about this subject.
If so, maybe something like the Art Cleanbox will help.
I'd do a Search on that unit and see what you find.
You could make up the cable that I described in less than a half hour and for $5.00 to$10.00, and give it a try.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
      Bud"

Hi Bud, Thanks for the info. The diagram at
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....5&&#post7389165
is a little different than your description. Also, I'm going to look at a cable at http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2102954
that RadioShack sells that might do the trick. If all else fails I'll try the Art Cleanbox.
Ed

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:40 AM

Also check out our Crown "Amplifier Applications Guide" at:  http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/133472.pdf   It has just about every wiring configuration you could imagine.