xti series features

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EarWax

EarWax
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:48 AM

i am very interested in buying a couple of xti amps to power my small setup.  according to the info i can find on the website it has features such as eq, delay, crossover and such.  i would like to just get these instead of an additional driverack pa.  how extensive is the eq...how many bands, etc?  how adjustable is the delay?  will i be able to get away without a driverack pa?  thanks.

#2 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(EarWax @ Mar 27 2006, 12:48 PM)
i am very interested in buying a couple of xti amps to power my small setup. according to the info i can find on the website it has features such as eq, delay, crossover and such. i would like to just get these instead of an additional driverack pa. how extensive is the eq...how many bands, etc? how adjustable is the delay? will i be able to get away without a driverack pa? thanks.
View Post

Howdy EarWax,
  Not to hijack your post but below is a Post that I started at PSW about the new XTi amps.
Maybe David will respond with Information as to exactly what is under the hood
and what topology the XTi amps use.
We / I would also like to know the official standing of the CE Series of amps.

To help you with your question.

Here is the info on the DSP:

EQ: 4-band paragraphic (not Parametric EQ as wth the DRPA) per channel, boost/cut 12 dB.
Also adjustable high and low shelving filters.

Filters: Highpass and lowpass per channel. Butterworth (only) 6/12/18/24 dB per octave. High and low shelving filters, one per channel.

Delay: For signal alignment of driver; 5 mS total delay.

Subharmonic Synthesizer: Adds low-frequency content.

Output Limiter: Prevents clipping.

Presets: 10 user speaker presets.

EarWax, check out this link, you can also download the Manual.
XTi Specifications

Later,
    Bud

Link here:PSW Forum and XTi Power Amps

#3 EarWax

EarWax
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(Bud Bolf @ Mar 27 2006, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE(EarWax @ Mar 27 2006, 12:48 PM)
i am very interested in buying a couple of xti amps to power my small setup.  according to the info i can find on the website it has features such as eq, delay, crossover and such.  i would like to just get these instead of an additional driverack pa.  how extensive is the eq...how many bands, etc?  how adjustable is the delay?  will i be able to get away without a driverack pa?  thanks.
View Post

Howdy EarWax,
  Not to hijack your post but below is a Post that I started at PSW about the new XTi amps.
Maybe David will respond with Information as to exactly what is under the hood
and what topology the XTi amps use.
We / I would also like to know the official standing of the CE Series of amps.

To help you with your question.

Here is the info on the DSP:

EQ: 4-band paragraphic (not Parametric EQ as wth the DRPA) per channel, boost/cut 12 dB.
Also adjustable high and low shelving filters.

Filters: Highpass and lowpass per channel. Butterworth (only) 6/12/18/24 dB per octave. High and low shelving filters, one per channel.

Delay: For signal alignment of driver; 5 mS total delay.

Subharmonic Synthesizer: Adds low-frequency content.

Output Limiter: Prevents clipping.

Presets: 10 user speaker presets.

EarWax, check out this link, you can also download the Manual.
XTi Specifications

Later,
    Bud

Link here:PSW Forum and XTi Power Amps
View Post

thanks for the reply.  i dont think those settings are quite gonna cut it.  may still get one but it looks like a drpa is in order...

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

The information provided in the previous post was based off of preliminary relase info. Here is some current information on the XTi amplifiers.

The XTi can be set via the HiQnet software with variable frequency High-Pass and Low Pass filters that have the options of a 24 dB/oct Linkwitz-Riley or either a 12 or 18-dB/oct Butterworth. The XTi crossover can also be setup as band pass filters. Both the crossover and the band pass have Band Pass Gain to boost or cut the filter if desired.
Each channel will also have six Parametric EQ filters as well as a High-Pass and Low-Pass Shelf filter and Sub Synthesizer.
XTi amplifiers should be shipping in the nest few weeks.

#5 BBMS

BBMS

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

I, too, am interested in the XTi amp, and have a couple of questions I would greatly appreciate answered.  This is for use with bass guitar and two speakers, one of the two is a subwoofer.  At the moment, I have a Rolls tiny crossover into a QSC1450 which uses each side to power the separate cabinets.  With the XTi, I can eliminate the Roll crossover, right?  In crossover mode, the XTi is set up at 1.2KHz, but I can easily chenge this to 75 - 100, right?  The other two modes that sound cool are bridged sub and sub synth, each with a low pass of 90Hz, but this prevents all frequencies above 90Hz from the reaching the speaker, right?  Thanks!  MY

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(BBMS @ Apr 22 2006, 07:52 PM)
I, too, am interested in the XTi amp, and have a couple of questions I would greatly appreciate answered.  This is for use with bass guitar and two speakers, one of the two is a subwoofer.  At the moment, I have a Rolls tiny crossover into a QSC1450 which uses each side to power the separate cabinets.  With the XTi, I can eliminate the Roll crossover, right?  In crossover mode, the XTi is set up at 1.2KHz, but I can easily chenge this to 75 - 100, right?  The other two modes that sound cool are bridged sub and sub synth, each with a low pass of 90Hz, but this prevents all frequencies above 90Hz from the reaching the speaker, right?  Thanks!  MY
View Post

Thats correct you will be able to set the crossover point in the amp to just about any audio frequency using the HiQnet software. So yes you could get rid of the external crossover.

Without getting into to technical a description of filters and filter design a Low Pass filter means that only frequencies below the crossover point are passed out the output. Now with that said some frequencies above the crossover are passed but greatly attenuated. The amount and how much are based on the filter type and it's slope. But basically yes a 90Hz LP filter blocks frequencies above the crossover point from getting to the sub.

#7 BBMS

BBMS

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for your reply!  Now for one more.  For bass guitar, do I even need the crossover, or crossover capability?  I built one subwoofer (Fitzmaurice Tuba24) and one 2x10 (Fitzmaurice Omni10).  Would the presence of a crossover system (internal or external) enable the cabinets to operate more effectively?  Thanks again!  MY

#8 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(BBMS @ Apr 26 2006, 08:24 PM)
Thanks for your reply!  Now for one more.  For bass guitar, do I even need the crossover, or crossover capability?  I built one subwoofer (Fitzmaurice Tuba24) and one 2x10 (Fitzmaurice Omni10).  Would the presence of a crossover system (internal or external) enable the cabinets to operate more effectively?  Thanks again!  MY
View Post

If your speaker box is a multi-way box (i.e. 2-way, 3-way etc) and it allows for bi-amping/tri-amping etc. then you can use the crossover feature. If it is a single speaker or multiples of the same speaker (i.e. 4-10, 2-10 etc.) than you will not need the crossover. A "crossover" is really only needed to separate the Highs from the Lows or Sub frequencies form Mids and Highs for multi-way speaker cabinets. This way you are not tying to send subs to a speaker device that cannot handle that frequency range. smile.gif