3 replies to this topic

#1 jeenie67

jeenie67

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:52 AM

Hello, Just finished assembling a pair of interconnects to plug my Sony Wide-Screen into the Crown Amp direct, then to a pair of Altec A-7 (custom built home sized) speakers. The procedure is the same no matter what the wire or plug/jack. The XRL end had to be terminated to RCA female. I used an old AR  Y- cable, cut off the male ends and the second wire. The bare end Hot of the AR was intertwined with 4" of cat 5, then silver soldered to the XLR terminal 2. The neutral side with the 1.5 cat 5 soldered to terminal 1. The other end of the cat 5 wire to terminal 3 as per Crown tech papers, Amplifiers in Depth. The remaining 4" of cat 5 wire coiled around the entire cable to exit through the XLR housing, then super glued to the cable jacket. To permanently keep the connections oxy clean and secure under any abuse, a drop of super glue to soldered joints. Final tweak is painting the entire assembly with clear nail polish. Total time for both left and right cables, 20 minutes. No ground wires, no shielding. Cut the noise-hum off at the source. Bubble wrap does wonders for RFI, CB radio etc. interference. I live right next to an interstate, half mile from its tollbooth and recieve nothing.....QUIET! If interested, ask me about the bubble wrap. Have to go....2001 Space Odessey coming up!      Tanx, Eugene

#2 jtnchls

jtnchls
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

Jesus, that sounds complicated.  A dilettante like me has no business trying that.  I may hire you to make a set of cables for me, but I doubt I could do it myself.  Jeff

QUOTE(jeenie67 @ Mar 26 2006, 08:52 AM)
Hello, Just finished assembling a pair of interconnects to plug my Sony Wide-Screen into the Crown Amp direct, then to a pair of Altec A-7 (custom built home sized) speakers. The procedure is the same no matter what the wire or plug/jack. The XRL end had to be terminated to RCA female. I used an old AR  Y- cable, cut off the male ends and the second wire. The bare end Hot of the AR was intertwined with 4" of cat 5, then silver soldered to the XLR terminal 2. The neutral side with the 1.5 cat 5 soldered to terminal 1. The other end of the cat 5 wire to terminal 3 as per Crown tech papers, Amplifiers in Depth. The remaining 4" of cat 5 wire coiled around the entire cable to exit through the XLR housing, then super glued to the cable jacket. To permanently keep the connections oxy clean and secure under any abuse, a drop of super glue to soldered joints. Final tweak is painting the entire assembly with clear nail polish. Total time for both left and right cables, 20 minutes. No ground wires, no shielding. Cut the noise-hum off at the source. Bubble wrap does wonders for RFI, CB radio etc. interference. I live right next to an interstate, half mile from its tollbooth and recieve nothing.....QUIET! If interested, ask me about the bubble wrap. Have to go....2001 Space Odessey coming up!      Tanx, Eugene
View Post

#3 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

Howdy,
This is from the Pro Sound Web Forum.

Re: Wiring XLR to RCA [message #4687 is a reply to message #4672 ] Tue, 25 May 2004 16:28  
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
ignore all messages by this user

Tom, I wonder if the TV has only one speaker. I've seen this on economy models that have only one RCA audio input. Time to consider putting someone's old home stereo speakers in the crying room...

The point about snipping and taping off the pin 1 balanced shield at the RCA jack is that now you won't be slamming your console's pin 3 output straight to ground. Shorting pin 1 to pin 3 does this! You can tie pin 1 to pin 3 and get through a gig or two, but you lose clarity and you put undue stress on the output chip in the console. It will overheat and won't last as long.

Going the other direction (from RCA output to XLR input) you DO tie pin 1 to pin 3. The XLR balanced input circuit isn't at all bothered by this. Confused yet?  The Rane note mentioned earlier covers these and other wiring schemes.

I would keep the idea of a transformer alive on the back burner just in case the TV starts to buzz from the video system's ground connecting to the audio system ground. If this happens, the transformer will take care of you and cut the buzz.

-Bink

I got this from another site:XLR TO RCA

#4 jeenie67

jeenie67

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(Bud Bolf @ Mar 26 2006, 11:27 PM)
Howdy,
This is from the Pro Sound Web Forum.

Re: Wiring XLR to RCA [message #4687 is a reply to message #4672 ] Tue, 25 May 2004 16:28 
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
ignore all messages by this user

Tom, I wonder if the TV has only one speaker. I've seen this on economy models that have only one RCA audio input. Time to consider putting someone's old home stereo speakers in the crying room...

The point about snipping and taping off the pin 1 balanced shield at the RCA jack is that now you won't be slamming your console's pin 3 output straight to ground. Shorting pin 1 to pin 3 does this! You can tie pin 1 to pin 3 and get through a gig or two, but you lose clarity and you put undue stress on the output chip in the console. It will overheat and won't last as long.

Going the other direction (from RCA output to XLR input) you DO tie pin 1 to pin 3. The XLR balanced input circuit isn't at all bothered by this. Confused yet?  The Rane note mentioned earlier covers these and other wiring schemes.

I would keep the idea of a transformer alive on the back burner just in case the TV starts to buzz from the video system's ground connecting to the audio system ground. If this happens, the transformer will take care of you and cut the buzz.

-Bink

I got this from another site:XLR TO RCA
View Post

This is a stereo proccessor fed 2005 model TV and works great, also it is RCA to XLR, have ART balance/unbalanced coming. Will see what happens going balanced out. Tanx, Eugene