2 replies to this topic

#1 mitchiemasha

mitchiemasha

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:33 PM

the fan on my CE2000 isn't spinning, I haven't used it for sometime and I was wondering if these only came on when needed, for quieter operation.

If this is so can I change it to stay on?

Please let me know how to do this.

thank you.

#2 coherent_guy

coherent_guy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

Hi, That is normal for the CE1000 and CE2000 amps, the fan only runs after some temperature threshold is passed, and then the fan speed is variable.  This is mentioned in the manual but not explained in much detail.  When the amp is powered on the fan does not run and only starts if it gets warm.  The fan speed also varies, seemingly with the input signal being present or not, as well as temperature.  I like this feature, others it seems do not.  I know of no way to turn the fan on constantly, although I imagine Crown could of added a switch to change between the two modes of operation.  I've had no problems with my CE1000 overheating, but I use it free standing, it seems when used in an enclosure people are reporting there are problems, but I find it hard to believe Crown would have overlooked that.  I'm guessing that the temperature sensor is on a heat sink, so the temperature of the chassis or air passing through it will not alone activate the fan.  I've noticed that the power transformer can be warm after being on for hours, but if the amp has been idle, the fan may not be on.  I guess I don't understand what your problem is, and a post done after yours that discusses this subject did not make sense to me.  If you care to explain it in more detail, I'm listening...

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:34 PM

The fan on the CE series amplifiers only comes on when the amplifier needs cooling otherwise there is enough convection cooling in the amp that it can idle and do low levels without the fan.
The there is a thermal sensor in the transformer as well as the heat sinks. If the one in the transformer is triggered the amp will go into protection and the fan will go high speed. The heat sink sensors run the fan proportional to the cooling needed. Not so hot and you get s slow fan speed, a little hotter and the fan will speed up etc.... smile.gif