8 replies to this topic

#1 da_ardvark

da_ardvark
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

Hi,

First off. I love my amp. Crown rocks  biggrin.gif

Here's the deal. IThis amp is about 4 years old and in that time has performed flawlessly. Tonight at rehersal, I noticed that the channel 1 sound level was very low compared to channel 2. Noticed the fan was not running, but I understand that this will only kick on if necessary.

The amp was a little dusty, but never mistreated.

I did some swapping of cables to find that the channel 1 seems to be faulty.

I then removed the amp cover and did a quick examination to see if there were any obvious "fried" components.

Looking at the amp down from the front, I noticed that there were what appears to be 4 dabs of silicon on top of four components. I assume that the right side of the circuit board is for channel 1 and the left for channel two.

So here's my main question. The two dabs of silicon on the left (channel 2?) look good. The two one the right (channel 1) look very strange. The don't look silicon anymore. They look more like foam insulation. I believe what happened is that the fan failed and the two channel 1 components overheated the silicon rendering it into a foam. So what are these components?

Sorry for the long post :^|

Thanks,

Denny

#2 maple

maple
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(da_ardvark @ Mar 19 2006, 12:30 PM)
Hi,

First off. I love my amp. Crown rocks  biggrin.gif

Here's the deal. IThis amp is about 4 years old and in that time has performed flawlessly. Tonight at rehersal, I noticed that the channel 1 sound level was very low compared to channel 2. Noticed the fan was not running, but I understand that this will only kick on if necessary.

I then removed the amp cover and did a quick examination to see if there were any obvious "fried" components.

Looking at the amp down from the front, I noticed that there were what appears to be 4 dabs of silicon on top of four components. I assume that the right side of the circuit board is for channel 1 and the left for channel two.

So here's my main question. The two dabs of silicon on the left (channel 2?) look good. The two one the right (channel 1) look very strange. The don't look silicon anymore. They look more like foam insulation. I believe what happened is that the fan failed and the two channel 1 components overheated the silicon rendering it into a foam. So what are these components?

Thanks,

Denny
View Post

The CE-2000 amplifier channel not divided for right-side for ch.1 & left-side for ch.2, but instead the heatsinks near the grille infront is ch.2 & the insides ch.1. The sealing are of silicon which you've seen as transparent white while the other end of yellowish are resin. Try "Y" input of mono-source(equal) to both channels to determint equal sound level, not forgetting to check your speaker's condition.

P/S: Check for "cracky" volume pot as well, that might pose a broblem too, if not then I'll suggest you send the amp to Crown for service.

#3 da_ardvark

da_ardvark
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to learn that my assumptions were incorrect with regard to the channel layout biggrin.gif

I did swap the speaker cables as well as the input cables. They also tested fine using a multi-meter.

I'll try the Y input test to see what I learn. But I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the amp. It was working properly at the start of rehearsal, and then just stopped.

I'll probally take it the the music store today for some more testing and then I guess its off to the shop.

One additional question, I know that in general an amp should never have a signal sent in without a sufficient load to the outputs. It is possible that while I was away, this might have happened. I always unpulg the one speaker only to get it out of the middle of the floor. The other speaker always remains plugged in.

Would this possible be a cause??

Thanks
Denny

#4 da_ardvark

da_ardvark
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:16 AM

I was also wondering if I can order a schematic and service manual for the CE2000? Perhaps a pdf can be emailed to dtepe......at.........1st dot net

Thanks

Denny

#5 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:50 PM

Hi Denny,
  First off you can not harm the amp if you have no speakers/outputs or Inputs to the amp.
All Solid State Amps do not need a Load attached.
You are thinking of Tube Amps that do need outputs/loads connected.

A way to set up your Gain Structure is with the Speakers disconnected.
Set the Mixer to just under Clip and then your EQ and Crossover and then turn up your amp with no speakers
and when you just see the Clip lights, turn the Gain control knobs counter clockwise until the clip lights go out.
Remember that place and turn down the knobs and turn off the amp.
Connect the speakers, turn on the amp and turn the amp's Gain knobs back to where you previously set them too.

The Y advice was mainly meant to ensure that both channels are being driven to the same levels at the Input.
I have a CE2000 and it sounds as If you need your amp looked at.
Find a Certified Crown repair facility to take your amp to.
They should be able to give you an estimate for repair.

Good Luck and let us know what the outcome is.
      Bud

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(da_ardvark @ Mar 20 2006, 10:16 AM)
I was also wondering if I can order a schematic and service manual for the CE2000? Perhaps a pdf can be emailed to dtepe......at.........1st dot net

Thanks

Denny
View Post

A service manual can be ordered from our Crown Parts Department here at Crown.
If you will email me your request so I can get your Email address I will send you a .pdf schematic. Don't forget to include the serial number.

#7 Noiseprojekt

Noiseprojekt
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE(da_ardvark @ Mar 18 2006, 11:30 PM)
Hi,

First off. I love my amp. Crown rocks  biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Denny
View Post

Hi, i have a bit of the same probleme but my CH. 1 is totaly silent..
When i move the Stereo/Bridge switch to Bridge the CH. 1 is working but not in Stereo-mode
I just move CH.2 to CH.1 if i Bridge the amp
In stereo-mode the CH.2 is working but only on the speakon connection at CH.1
(CH.1 have both CH.1 & CH.2 in the connection)
Even if i connect the speaker to CH.2 it's totaly silent, it's only the CH.1 connection that works.
The CH.1 in bridged-mode and CH.2 in stereo-mode..
I can't figure it out how it works and what has happend to the amp.

I just wan't it to work, i love it!
It's a very powerful amp!

You have to excuse my really bad english, but i hope you'll understand what i mean anyway.

Thanks.
//Daniel

#8 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

[[/quote]
When i move the Stereo/Bridge switch to Bridge the CH. 1 is working but not in Stereo-mode
Even if i connect the speaker to CH.2 it's totaly silent, it's only the CH.1 connection that works.

You have to excuse my really bad english, but i hope you'll understand what i mean anyway.

Thanks.
//Daniel
View Post
[/quote]
It may be your wiring if you do not have a fault light on.

In Bridge-Mono you need to use channel 1+ and channel 2+ of the amplifier. On the Speakon NL4 connector you would need to move the wire on the channel 1- to pin 2 + of the connector to achieve this. I would mark this cable as the amp end only to avoid it being used backwards or being used as a speaker to speaker jumper.

At the speaker end the connector would still be the pins your speaker requires to get sound into the box. Speakon connectors have several recommended wiring configuration from Neutrik. The most common is for pins 1+/- to be used for Full range audio with Pin 2+/- not being used. This is why the channel 2 Speakon, of the amplifier has the Channel 2 output on Pins 1+/- as they are the full range output pins.

The “Crown Amplifier Application Guide”
http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/133472.pdf

Page 3 of our “Guide to Neutrik Speakon NL4FC Connector Assembly” http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/126986.pdf

#9 Noiseprojekt

Noiseprojekt
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:41 AM

[quote=DGlass,Aug 17 2006, 09:32 AM]
[[/quote]

Thanks.
//Daniel
View Post
[/quote]
It may be your wiring if you do not have a fault light on.

In Bridge-Mono you need to use channel 1+ and channel 2+ of the amplifier. On the Speakon NL4 connector you would need to move the wire on the channel 1- to pin 2 + of the connector to achieve this. I would mark this cable as the amp end only to avoid it being used backwards or being used as a speaker to speaker jumper.

At the speaker end the connector would still be the pins your speaker requires to get sound into the box. Speakon connectors have several recommended wiring configuration from Neutrik. The most common is for pins 1+/- to be used for Full range audio with Pin 2+/- not being used. This is why the channel 2 Speakon, of the amplifier has the Channel 2 output on Pins 1+/- as they are the full range output pins.

The “Crown Amplifier Application Guide”
http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/133472.pdf

Page 3 of our “Guide to Neutrik Speakon NL4FC Connector Assembly” http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/126986.pdf
View Post
[/quote]

That it's configurated right now Pins 1+/- on CH.1 and Pins 1 +/- on CH.2..
now the amp it's working in the right way