I-Tech Thermal Indicator

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ericels

ericels
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:32 PM

Is it normal for the thermal indicator on the Iqwic amp window to show a level?  What are normal readings?  Is there something that should be done if there is a problem?

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:16 PM

There may be some thermal level showing as the amp does produce some heat before the fans come on.
We would need a little more information to start diagnoses as to if there was a problem or not.

Are you reading a level?
What Level?
Is this a constant level or does it very?
How much does it very only a few % or a lot?
Are the fans coming on?
Are the fans staying on?

#3 ericels

ericels
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Mar 15 2006, 03:16 PM)
There may be some thermal level showing as the amp does produce some heat before the fans come on.
We would need a little more information to start diagnoses as to if there was a problem or not.

Are you reading a level?
What Level?
Are the fans coming on?
Are the fans staying on?
View Post

The readings reach no more than 5% and they do vary.  Usually go back to 0.  The fans come on periocally.  I just don't remember seeing this happen before.

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE(ericels @ Mar 15 2006, 04:18 PM)

Are you reading a level?
What Level?
Are the fans coming on?
Are the fans staying on?
View Post

The readings reach no more than 5% and they do vary.  Usually go back to 0.  The fans come on periocally.  I just don't remember seeing this happen before.
View Post

Is this at idle (no input just sitting)?
Is this one amp by itself or several amps stacked on top of each other? And if so are they in a tightly confined rack?
Are the fans coming on at a slow speed and then going off or are they coming on at a medium to high speed?

The fans for the Itech in my office come at a slow speed periodically during the day just sitting there doing nothing.

#5 ericels

ericels
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Mar 16 2006, 10:25 AM)

Are you reading a level?
What Level?
Are the fans coming on?
Are the fans staying on?
View Post

View Post

Is this one amp by itself or several amps stacked on top of each other? And if so are they in a tightly confined rack?
Are the fans coming on at a slow speed and then going off or are they coming on at a medium to high speed?

The fans for the Itech in my office come at a slow speed periodically during the day just sitting there doing nothing.
View Post

Actually it is several amps.  And I just added to 8ks to the rack.  They are tightly packed.  I think the fans are on low speed, maybe medium.  It is when there is signal and the amplifiers are amplifying it.

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(ericels @ Mar 16 2006, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE(DGlass @ Mar 16 2006, 10:25 AM)

Are you reading a level?
What Level?
Are the fans coming on?
Are the fans staying on?
View Post

View Post

View Post

Actually it is several amps.  And I just added to 8ks to the rack.  They are tightly packed.  I think the fans are on low speed, maybe medium.  It is when there is signal and the amplifiers are amplifying it.
View Post

It sounds like they are working alright as there would be some heat level indication when they are being used. There is, however, no hard and fast temperature level they should be at as it would be totally dependant on what type of signal, how loud a signal and what load impedance you are asking of the amp to do as well as how much heat transfer is happening between the stacked amps. As these variable are all dynamic it is totally possible that some amps are getting a little warmer than others.

#7 Blade

Blade

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:33 PM

I have both an I-T4000 & I-T6000 and notice that right side of either amp gets about 5% - 10% warmer than the left. Doesn't matter if they're fed different signals, the same signal, or used independently at different venues. I'm thinking it's just the nature of the way the internals are designed.

Is this normal?

BTW, I don't think I've ever seen them higher than about 15%  :-)