Crown Amp Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonedeejay

jonedeejay
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:26 PM

I'm interested in buying a mid to upper end Crown amp to power 2 - Eaw LA 400 subs (500 watt continous @ 8 ohm) and 2 - EV Eliminator ie 2 way 15" (350 continous  @ 8 ohm) I also have a DBX driverack pa for the crossover.

This rig will be used for mobile entertainment  for weddings, proms, and small bars/clubs.  Down the road i plan on adding 2 more EAW LA 400's, taking away the 2 EV's  and adding  4 Eaw la 460 (600 watts @ 8 ohms) by the end of the year.

I was thinking about the macro series.  Is this to much for a portable rig?  

Any suggestion will help.

Thanks,

Jon

#2 bourbon108

bourbon108
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

The MacroTech series would probably be a good choice.
The power handling of those subs may increase given proper processing, so you should contact EAW and tell them what you're using (Driverack), and maybe they could give you an idea of how much power each sub should be getting.

Rich

#3 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:44 PM

Hi Jonedeejay,
The LA400's are best when coupled (placed) together.
Horn loaded Subs are always more efficient when coupled together rather than split up to each side of the stage.

Check here: http://forums.eaw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
for all your EAW speaker question.

The DriveRack 260 is better for EAW speakers than the PA version due to more
Parametric EQ Settings needed and the Delays needed when using horn loaded subs. They will explain this to more detail at the EAW Forum.

The Power amp to cab / Speaker recommendations per continuous / RMS rating
is explained here: http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/amp_info..._much_power.htm

At 1.5 to 2x the continuous rating of the speaker cabs, for Power amp power,
the LA400's should be powered with between 750 to a 1000 watts per cab at 8 ohms.
That power can be Bridged or Per Channel, though per channel is always better for Damping on Subs than Bridged.

If you Paralleled two LA400's together you would be at a 4 ohm load.
You would then need a Power Amp that is rated between 1500 to 2000 watts at 4 ohms. Either per channel or Bridged.
A I-Tech 4000 is rated at 2000 watts per channel at 4 ohms and would easily power 4 LA400's.
You can see what reccomendations are made at EAW for powering these cabs,
and  by people that are already using them and what works best.

Is this to much for a portable rig?

Carting around four LA400's is a hefty load!
I don't know what you consider Mobile!
What are other DJ's in your area using?

There are many discussions that Horn Loaded Subs are long throw subs,
and front loaded reflex Subs like a dual 18 are short throw.
If you want to throw a lot of bass at a stage you might want front loaded subs.
Such as a JBL SRX 728 or a Peavey QW218.
Others say that Horn loaded Subs are more Musical and front loaded
cabs such as dual 18's or 15's rely more on a distortion bass response.
Check out ProSoundWeb's LAB SubWoofer project, there are tons of Sub talk there and at the Lounge and the LAB.
Click here:http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/3/0

At EAW you will see much on the LA400's and other Subs.
I always wanted a EAW Rig that consisted of two SB850's and two KF850's.
Four very portable cabs that work as well outside as well as inside.

Your doing a Mix n Match sound system, why not think of a matched system whether it's JBL or EAW or Yorkville etc...
The cabs are already designed to work together!
I'm sure at this point you can find a truly mobile DJ setup that will also Rock the House!

Good Luck,
      Bud

#4 guyofsound

guyofsound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:40 PM

[quote=jonedeejay,Mar 11 2006, 08:26 PM]I'm interested in buying a mid to upper end Crown amp to power 2 - Eaw LA 400 subs (500 watt continous @ 8 ohm) and 2 - EV Eliminator ie 2 way 15" (350 continous  @ 8 ohm) I also have a DBX driverack pa for the crossover.

This rig will be used for mobile entertainment  for weddings, proms, and small bars/clubs.  Down the road i plan on adding 2 more EAW LA 400's, taking away the 2 EV's  and adding  4 Eaw la 460 (600 watts @ 8 ohms) by the end of the year.

I was thinking about the macro series.  Is this to much for a portable rig? 

Any suggestion will help.

Thanks,

Jon
View Post

Jon

The only issue that you didn't bring into factor is what are you using for amps now?
I have seen in the past where people put a crown in the same rack with a couple of Qsc amps. THey do not work well together because of the airflow. Crowns suck air in through the front and blow out through the sides. Qsc amps suck air in through the back and blow out the front. Just one of the most important things you need to know.

Good luck.
Jim