• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldhippie

oldhippie
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:38 AM

hello

Just got a crown xls402 amp, and was wondering what preamp will work good? I'm not sure if I will run balenced or unbalenced inputs to the amp. COMMENTS? This is for a home stereo. I have a cheap preamp already but I am in question on the input voltage for the crown. I would like to keep the preamp under 300 bucks.
thanks

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:48 PM

The input sensitivity of the XLS402 is 31db/1.025 volts. In other words you need to supply at 1.025 volts of signal with the input attenuators turned all the way up (no attenuation) in order to get full output of the amp. What if your preamp only puts out .5v of signal? The amp will pass audio, but nowhere near what it is capable of. In order to get the full output level of the amp, you may need to add a converter box between the preamp and the input of the amplifier like a Rolls MB-15 “ProMatch” (www.rolls.com) or an ART “CleanBox” (www.artproaudio.com). These type of devices will take the unbalanced -10dBu signal and raise it to balanced +4dBu (1.23V nominal) which will work very well with Proaudio amplifiers.

#3 oldhippie

oldhippie
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Mar 15 2006, 12:48 PM)
The input sensitivity of the XLS402 is 31db/1.025 volts. In other words you need to supply at 1.025 volts of signal with the input attenuators turned all the way up (no attenuation) in order to get full output of the amp. What if your preamp only puts out .5v of signal? The amp will pass audio, but nowhere near what it is capable of. In order to get the full output level of the amp, you may need to add a converter box between the preamp and the input of the amplifier like a Rolls MB-15 “ProMatch” (www.rolls.com) or an ART “CleanBox” (www.artproaudio.com). These type of devices will take the unbalanced -10dBu signal and raise it to balanced +4dBu (1.23V nominal) which will work very well with Proaudio amplifiers.
View Post

thank ya much!!!!!!!!!

#4 jeenie67

jeenie67

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

Hi, check out music direct.com    ....Bellari tube pre-amp $199.00 ....works unbelievable with my smaller xls202 crown. Use it with a Denon DCD 1500II CD player sometimes, tubes warms out the brittleness of CD's.Mostly use the CD player in the kitchen. It has fiber optic out (direct into a Sony 5.1 Theater reciever that sits on the fridge)just when I'm cooking, I dont like CD's, love my albums! I also run a tape machine through it, plus my Sony TV. Whatever the input this and impedence that and capacitate this and match this.......all just sound excellent. My main speakers are 30 year old Altec model 14's ....modified. 14-2 house wire plus cat 5 solid core 24 agw into speakons for spkr wires. Bose 5 spkr w/subwffr in the kitchen, even though a TV isn't used (just for the tuner). Stay away from pro pre-amp for stereo use, if you read the tech manuals offered by crown, check into the cable diagrams and follow the directions, or the ART clean box for $50.00 at   partsexpress.com.  Free catalog, great stuff, primo prices.   Eugene Z.