I-Tech 6000 and SRX728

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jaguar_om2003

jaguar_om2003
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:39 AM

I was just experimenting with the positioning of a set of 728s powered by an I-Tech 6000. I'm using the DSP in the I-Tech, well bottom line is that when I set the subs vertically, it seems I lose bass huh.gif . I do not belive it has anything to do with the amp, any thoughts?

#2 CustomKid

CustomKid
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE(jaguar_om2003 @ Mar 8 2006, 08:39 PM)
I was just experimenting with the positioning of a set of 728s powered by an I-Tech 6000. I'm using the DSP in the I-Tech, well bottom line is that when I set the subs vertically, it seems I lose bass huh.gif . I do not belive it has anything to do with the amp, any thoughts?
View Post

Just a thought, The cabinet may be designed to couple to the floor on the horizontal plane. when stood up vertically, you loose the coupling of the low frequencies to the floor by a quarter wave, thereby you supposedly lost 1/2 your low end, or 3dB.

#3 markradu

markradu
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:09 AM

The frequencies being reproduced by your subwoofers have a very long wave length in comparison to that of a high frequency driver. A 50Hz sine wave takes about 22 1/2 feet to complete a cycle while the cycle of a 5kH sine wave takes only 2 1/2 inches. Reproducing such large wave lengths make your subs very susceptible to the very enviroment it is operating in.

With you subs on floor, the floor is acting as a big reflective surface. You are hearing direct enegry from the actual subwoofer coupled together with energy reflected to you off the floor. The floor is helping to amplify the sound you hear in much the same manner that a horn flare amplifies energy from a high frequency compression driver.

With your sub in a vertical position you have one driver on the floor. In the horizontal position you have two, hence the increased sense of volume. Now place your sub against a wall, or better yet in a corner, and you will get even more SPL.

#4 jaguar_om2003

jaguar_om2003
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

thanks guys, this makes much sense.

#5 jaguar_om2003

jaguar_om2003
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:18 AM

Just to go a bit farther on this, I recently played side by side with a dj and he had some small amps, his total power reached no more than 4500 watts and I was running with one i-T4000 for mids-highs and one i-T6000 for lows... and both systems sounded just as loud blink.gif . I know 'loudness' has to do with shape/size of the room and other factors; but I did notice one thing, the clarity of my system was way, way out of the reach of his and I only had a straight up mixer-eq-amp set up and he had all kinds of processors.

What I'm getting at is this, does the higher rating/headroom on the i-Techs mean more power(loudness) or better sound quality? (My guess is it should be both)

*PS: what's the use of the little sine generator icon on IQ?(I mean what does it do?) wacko.gif

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(jaguar_om2003 @ Mar 15 2006, 01:18 AM)
Just to go a bit farther on this, I recently played side by side with a dj and he had some small amps, his total power reached no more than 4500 watts and I was running with one i-T4000 for mids-highs and one i-T6000 for lows... and both systems sounded just as loud blink.gif . I know 'loudness' has to do with shape/size of the room and other factors; but I did notice one thing, the clarity of my system was way, way out of the reach of his and I only had a straight up mixer-eq-amp set up and he had all kinds of processors.

What I'm getting at is this, does the higher rating/headroom on the i-Techs mean more power(loudness) or better sound quality? (My guess is it should be both)

*PS: what's the use of the little sine generator icon on IQ?(I mean what does it do?) wacko.gif
View Post

Point 1
The design topology of the amplifier, quality of components, how much time the amp designers spent on creating the best signal to noise in the amplifier, damping factor as well a speaker efficiency speaker component quality and many other things all play into the "quality" of the sound.

In the case of the I-Tech amplifier design, power supply design component quality and designers spending a lot of time to achieve the best possible product all play into the amount of power you can get from the amp from only 20 amp power plugs.

Amplifier design, power supply design, component quality and designers spending a lot of time to achieve the best possible product all play into the quality of sound you get from an amp.

While what you hear can also be based on the quality of the speakers as cheap speakers will not reproduce the signal as sonically accurate as better speakers.

Point 2
Another thing to think about is that even though the other system may have sounded as loud he probably wasn't. You would need an SPL meter to tell the difference as the human ear can be deceived. If his system had a higher distortion (which it probably did) your ear would tell you that the sound was pretty loud because it was distorting thus making you think it was louder than it was.

Did you ever go to a concert were a major touring company did the sound and it was loud, VERY LOUD but it didn't hurt? Then you were at another concert were someone else was doing the sound and they had no were near the equipment or quality of equipment and it was loud but hurt. Well........... It’s the same situation perceived loudness as apposed to an actual measured loudness.

Point 3
With all the extra processing gear the other system had there were probably compressors in the system. Compressors can make a system ( and I hate to use this term in conjunction with compressors) “Sound Louder” because they will allow for the low level signals to be played at a higher level and hold back the peaks from clipping the system thus increasing the perceived loudness. If set up with to high a ratio however the duty cycle of the signal can be made so small that everything is playing at the same intensity and there is very little rest for the amplifiers as they are continually being pushed-since there is little to no level changes (dynamic range) occurring. Although this can perceptually make the system “Sound Louder” this can cause amps to premature thermal as well as do long term heat damage speakers.

Remember with all of the above you get what you pay for. Having lots of toys doesn’t make up for quality. smile.gif

#7 jaguar_om2003

jaguar_om2003
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

i understand perfectly what you're saying, though you didn't answer the question:
i-Tech = power, or
i-Tech = quality?

#8 bourbon108

bourbon108
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(jaguar_om2003 @ Mar 15 2006, 06:59 PM)
i-Tech = power, or
i-Tech = quality?
View Post

iTech = power and quality!  wink.gif

#9 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(jaguar_om2003 @ Mar 15 2006, 05:59 PM)
i understand perfectly what you're saying, though you didn't answer the question:
i-Tech = power, or
i-Tech = quality?
View Post

I was trying to say both.................................. smile.gif
It is our top of the line amp. It is our most powerful amp, It is our most technologically advance amp, it is our most energy conservative amp, it offers the most features of all our amps (or anybody elses), and it gives the most bang for the buck.
We have set the bar for other to reach for in a pro audio amplifier. smile.gif

#10 jaguar_om2003

jaguar_om2003
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:22 AM

Sweet, all and all, you're right, the i-Tech is a *beep* of an amp to beat.
So check it out, till now, I've been running the small system with one 4000 for highs and mids, and a 6000 for lows.
The thing is, I've been running the 4000 on a pair of SRX725s on passive mode, so right now it's a two-way system:
  iT4000=>highs&mids(725s on passive mode)
  iT6000=>lows(728s.)
I wanna go three-way now(725s on bi-amp), so i need some suggestions on an amp that would be compatible with the following systems:

suggested amp=>highs(725s)  ///////  1*4000=>mids(725s)  \\\\\\\  (1*8000)+(1*6000)=>lows(728s)

OR

suggested amp=>highs(725s)  ///////  1*6000=>mids(725s)  \\\\\\\  2*8000=>lows(728s).

These systems would be runnig 2*725s and 4*728s.
(note, i'm using the processors on the iT's for crossover,therefore,I would like NOT to have to get one)

Also, need some suggestions on the sequence of three processors: maximizer,EQ,enhancer.  What should go 1st,2nd,3rd in the chain?

Anyone out there please, you're suggestions are greatly appreciated, THANKX!!! wacko.gif