pro amp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dennisbeaver

dennisbeaver
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:12 AM

Hi i'm new here, my question is how do crown pro amps compare to home audio amps.i;m not looking for just load,but quality of sound. running through a carver ct6 preamp and a pair of jbl s38.just for home stereo, is one series of these amps better for this use. thanks dennis

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:45 AM

Well......are our amps are good some are better than others at certain applications. You can purchase our entry level XLS amplifier or you could go all the way up to our Top of line I-Techs. Of course you get what you pay for. Some have fans that are on all the time some have fans that our proportional some have no fans etcetera... I know of people that use everything XLS, XS, CE, K, CTs, MA, and I-Techs it's all in what you want to pay for.

Personally I like to use K-series amplifiers for home. They use the same input electronics as our now discontinued Studio Ref amplifiers. They also use convection cooling so there is no fan noise that is added back into the room environment, they have a high Damping Factor are very energy efficient. smile.gif

#3 dennisbeaver

dennisbeaver
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Mar 1 2006, 09:45 AM)
Well......are our amps are good some are better than others at certain applications. You can purchase our entry level XLS amplifier or you could go all the way up to our Top of line I-Techs. Of course you get what you pay for. Some have fans that are on all the time some have fans that our proportional some have no fans etcetera... I know of people that use everything XLS, XS, CE, K, CTs, MA, and I-Techs it's all in what you want to pay for.

Personally I like to use K-series amplifiers for home. They use the same input electronics as our now discontinued Studio Ref amplifiers. They also use convection cooling so there is no fan noise that is added back into the room environment, they have a high Damping Factor are very energy efficient. smile.gif
View Post

thanks for your input,that k series would drive my altec model 19,sounds like a good match. thanks dennis cool.gif

#4 jeenie67

jeenie67

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE(dennisbeaver @ Feb 28 2006, 03:12 AM)
Hi i'm new here, my question is how do crown pro amps compare to home audio amps.i;m not looking for just load,but quality of sound. running through a carver ct6 preamp and a pair of jbl s38.just for home stereo, is one series of these amps better for this use. thanks dennis
View Post

Just bought a xls202. For home stereo only. With a tube pre-amp and modified Altec model 14's, the crown is powerfull enough (105db at 10 ft.) quiet...clean....I'm so glad I bought it. Just have to exchange the fans for whisper fans (for when there is no signal, I rarely shut anything electronic off). Used to have a DC 300 years ago,miss it! Had a Phase Linear 400 too,  the crown was better. Most people (and I think a lot of these tech guys at crown) aren't too aware that crowns were audiophile...high end grade equipment for years before all this pro-sound took over. Just a suggestion from a 52 year old ex-pro guitar player, audiophile, now 3.77 QPA college dude looking to teach. Eugene Z