PZM11LLWRS1 Phantom optional?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kurtrush

kurtrush
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:01 AM

I have a PZM11LLWRS1 that I thought was just a plain old PZM11LL.  I want to power it by 24VDC.  Although this unit was factory modified to use Phantom power, do you know if the 24VAC, 12-24VDC posts can still be used without damaging the unit?  If not, can I remove whatever modification was made to allow phantom power and restore it to a plain PZM11LLWR?

Thanks,
Kurt

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:33 AM

In answer to your question the WR version cannot be changed over to the other version as you would need to remove the membrane that seals the microphone element to access the inside and there is no way to reseal the membrane once it has been removed.

#3 brubart

brubart

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(kurtrush @ Feb 18 2006, 09:01 AM)
I have a PZM11LLWRS1 that I thought was just a plain old PZM11LL.  I want to power it by 24VDC.  Although this unit was factory modified to use Phantom power, do you know if the 24VAC, 12-24VDC posts can still be used without damaging the unit?  If not, can I remove whatever modification was made to allow phantom power and restore it to a plain PZM11LLWR?

Thanks,
Kurt
View Post

Kurt, if you are willing to cut and reseal the black RTV seal between the chassis and the plastic face plate, and you are willing to void the warranty, you can modify the mic to be powered by 12-24V AC or DC.

Move R13 to R14's position. Move R16 to R15's position.

Good luck,
Bruce Bartlett
Crown Microphone Engineering

Attached Files

#4 Mika

Mika
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:35 AM

Hello,

Is the PZM11LLWRS1 the only model available now? I wanted to order  PZM11LLWRS and use a separate PSU to feed the mic. But the sales guys at Crown had told our purchasing agent there is only  PZM11LLWRS1 available now. Should I just do the modification to it as described on the earlier post.

Thanks

Mika

#5 Mika

Mika
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE(Mika @ Aug 12 2008, 09:35 AM) View Post
Hello,

Is the PZM11LLWRS1 the only model available now? I wanted to order  PZM11LLWRS and use a separate PSU to feed the mic. But the sales guys at Crown had told our purchasing agent there is only  PZM11LLWRS1 available now. Should I just do the modification to it as described on the earlier post.

Thanks

Mika

well, this forum is not very busy now is it. Neither are the Crown guys via email????

Mika

#6 MChapman

MChapman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

Mika,

I am sorry for any confusion that was the result of a recent Harman business decision. As of July 1, 2008, the Crown microphones are now being distributed by Harman Pro instead of directly by Crown. We still build them and support them, just sales, warehousing and distribution is now handled from Northridge, CA. It looks like you really need the standard PZM-11LLWR, which is not available from Crown directly, but over 200 units are in the Northridge facility. When the call was made to sales, you or your purchasing agent should have been told the mics are available to purchase thru Harman Pro distribution, instead of being told we didn't have any in stock. While it is true we currently have 2 of the PZM-11LLWRS1 in stock here in Elkhart, Indiana, the rest of the inventory has been transferred to Northridge.
<span style='color:blue'>J. Mark Chapman
Crown Application Support Technician</span>