• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jamnajar

Jamnajar
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:55 AM

Hello,

I have been having problems with the speakon connections with my xs 900s (I have 6) I want to bridge the amp and use speakon connectors. When I rewire the end of the speakon cable so that I am using pins 1+ and 2+ I get NO sound. (I am using channel 1). When I use the Bannana plugs (both of the red ones) I get sound. When I set up the amp in stereo, channels 1 and 2 both work. I am setting up a touring company and using bannana plugs is not reasonable. I tested 4 other amps with the same result. I tested multiple cables with the same result. Oh and I make sure to set the  switch to bridge. laugh.gif  What am I not getting? Thanks!

TyE

#2 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE(Jamnajar @ Feb 9 2006, 04:55 AM)
Hello,

I have been having problems with the speakon connections with my xs 900s (I have 6) I want to bridge the amp and use speakon connectors. When I rewire the end of the speakon cable so that I am using pins 1+ and 2+ I get NO sound. (I am using channel 1). When I use the Bannana plugs (both of the red ones) I get sound. When I set up the amp in stereo, channels 1 and 2 both work. I am setting up a touring company and using bannana plugs is not reasonable. I tested 4 other amps with the same result. I tested multiple cables with the same result. Oh and I make sure to set the  switch to bridge. laugh.gif  What am I not getting? Thanks!

TyE
View Post

Hi Jamnajar,
I looked in my XS900 OP Manual and on page 9 it mentions wiring
Bridged with the Speakon just like you stated.
However, if you read on (at least in my OP Manual) it states,
"This feature is not available on early Models"

Maybe Dave from Crown will let US know what early models these refer to.
I have an XS900 and I do use it Bridged but I have never used the Speakon's
1+/2+ at channel one output.
I hardwire my Amp rack with Spade Lugs at the Binding Posts,
and then neatly route my cable to a Rack Panel with Speakon NL4MP-UC Chassis mounts.

On a side note, I thought of a Custom Speakon cable wired 1+/2+ at
the amp end and 1+ / 1- at the Speaker cab end.
I thought second of it, because I have others that will sometimes run my speaker cables from amps to cabs. I knew it was just a matter of time that the wrong end would end up at the Speaker / Amp.
By prewiring my Amp Rack with a Rack Panel, using NL4MP-UC chassis mount Speakon's,
standard Speakon Cables may now be used, this takes out one less "aw *beep*" out of the equation.

I use a 12/2 cable with spade lugs at the two red Positive Binding Posts, then route the cable to the Rack Panel, the UC version of the NL4MP's accept 1/4" push on crimp connectors. Connect to 1+/1- at the NL4MP-UC and standard Speakon cables may be used.
Even if you need to use 2+ /2- because that is what your Top cabs or Subs want then you can wire up Top cab or Sub cables and just mark them as such but you will not get the wrong end at the wrong place.
Just a thought,
     Bud

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

Well Bud is right the earlier models did not include this feature. However, with the current models we kind of got the cart before the horse in that they were supposed to have that option but somewhere between the circuit designs, the manual and back panel printing something happened with our overseas manufacture and it was never implemented.
Our apologies for the confusion. The only alternative would be to use the Binding Post outputs and a rack mounted output panel.

#4 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Feb 9 2006, 12:18 PM)
Well Bud is right the earlier models did not include this feature. However, with the current models we kind of got the cart before the horse in that they were supposed to have that option but somewhere between the circuit designs, the manual and back panel printing something happened with our overseas manufacture and it was never implemented.
Our apologies for the confusion. The only alternative would be to use the Binding Post outputs and a rack mounted output panel.
View Post

David,
  Since there was a bit of confusion between Crown and your overseas
manufacturer of the XS amps (which does not bode well for Crown's overseas manufacturing) and this feature was planned for and designed into the XS Series of Amps, only to have something happen with your overseas manufacture and it was never implemented.

I have to ask the question, now that this mistake has been discovered,
has Crown remedied the situation?
Have the corrections been made, and are ALL Crown XS amps that are
now running off the assembly line, being produced as Crown originally Spec'd?
Please tell me / us that it's so!

Thanks,
    Bud

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(Bud Bolf @ Feb 17 2006, 10:08 PM)
View Post

David,
manufacturer of the XS amps (which does not bode well for Crown's overseas manufacturing) and this feature was planned for and designed into the XS Series of Amps, only to have something happen with your overseas manufacture and it was never implemented.

Thanks,
    Bud
View Post

As we receive large shipments of these at a time untill our stock is depleated there would be no modifications as we would not remake the amp here for the correction. The situation has been noted by our engineers.

#6 Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Feb 20 2006, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE(Bud Bolf @ Feb 17 2006, 10:08 PM)
View Post

David,

Thanks,
    Bud
View Post

As we receive large shipments of these at a time untill our stock is depleated there would be no modifications as we would not remake the amp here for the correction. The situation has been noted by our engineers.
View Post

David,
I understand that what is in current stock in the USA without the Speakon Bridged ability will not be modified for that.
I just wanted to know whether the Speakon Bridging feature has now been implemented and as newer stock does arrive from overseas, Speakon Bridging is now being installed into the XS Series of amps?

If so, and for those that want to know if their XS amp does have Speakon Bridging, is their a way to tell per Serial number or other markings on the Amp such as a Suffix, like XS900A?
Or just look at the stencil next to the Speakon out to see if it shows 1+/1-/2+/2-
Thanks,
     Bud

#7 helicool

helicool

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:01 PM

[/quote] Or just look at the stencil next to the Speakon out to see if it shows 1+/1-/2+/2- [/quote]

On my dozen or so (6 with the pin 2 thing, 6 without) The stencil has been "correct" everytime.

Ryan

#8 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

[quote=helicool,Mar 13 2006, 05:01 PM]
[/quote] Or just look at the stencil next to the Speakon out to see if it shows 1+/1-/2+/2- [/quote]

On my dozen or so (6 with the pin 2 thing, 6 without) The stencil has been "correct" everytime.

Ryan
View Post
[/quote]
Funny thing about that. Even though the output connectors are not what they should have been and the manual says what it should have been....... the stencil on the amp says the way it is. blink.gif