• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djnick01

djnick01
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:28 AM

Hi All,
I am thinking of buying a CTS 1200 from the USA, will it work 'out the box' on 220V mains? From the specs it would seem so, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks so much, Nick

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:29 AM

CTs amplifiers are voltage specific. This means the amp needs to be ordered for the voltage range it will be used with. Yes, the CTS amplifiers use a switching power supply but the PS is not voltage auto ranging. If you purchase 120v units you should NOT plug them into a 220v AC source. ohmy.gif
You can however order amps for the country you are going to, while in the US, and ship them there.
NOTE: Be aware the distributor for that country is not responsible for warranty service of product they did not sell in their country. You may be responsible for getting any product which may get broken, back into the US for service or (at your cost) pay that countries distributor directly for their service fees.
If you should plan to purchase inside the US and ship into another country I would contact the local Crown US Regional Rep. ( http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/replist.htm ) and have them check out the possibility of special international service arrangements to be made on your purchase. I canít say if it can or canít be done as some distributors overseas will not and some will.

I see from your profile you are from Cape Town I would recommend that you contact our distributor for South Africa to purchase our products to avoid potentially unnecessary international service issues later on.  smile.gif
Their contact information is below:

Wild and Marr Pty Ltd
49 11 th Road
Kew 2090
Johannesburg South Africa
PH: 27-11-887-5271
FAX: 27-11-887-4059

E-Mail: info@wildandmarr.co.za  

#3 djnick01

djnick01
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:09 AM

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply and advice. Unfortuneately, due to budget constraints I am seeking out a second hand amp. While this isnt the ideal situation ( I'd obviously like to buy NEW! ), the low shipping weight, and used prices of US Crowns make this my only available choice at present.

Is it possible to have the PS changed to 220V operation by a technician?

I am aware of the service issues,  but these are relaiable amps, and if I buy second hand that is simply a risk I must factor in.

Thanks again,
Nick

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(djnick01 @ Feb 2 2006, 02:09 AM)
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply and advice. Unfortuneately, due to budget constraints I am seeking out a second hand amp. While this isnt the ideal situation ( I'd obviously like to buy NEW! ), the low shipping weight, and used prices of US Crowns make this my only available choice at present.

Is it possible to have the PS changed to 220V operation by a technician?

I am aware of the service issues,  but these are relaiable amps, and if I buy second hand that is simply a risk I must factor in.

Thanks again,
Nick
View Post

You would be looking at about $250.00 USD(+/-) for parts plus the labor costs. We would not modify the amplifier here at Crown. You would need to find a qualified service techician to perform the modifications and testing. Time wise you would be looking at 2- 3 hours minimum for the install and testing. Shop rates start at about $70.00/hr USD in the States. So...... on top of the cost of a used amplifier the voltage modifications could cost about $460.00 USDminimum.
A new CTs1200 list price with a warranty is $1,827.00 USD. I can't say what a dealer would sell a new one for but you would spend at least $400-500 USD for a used one. Then add the charge for the voltage modification and you would probably come out close to the selling price for a new one and not have any warranty. sad.gif

#5 djnick01

djnick01
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:03 AM

Hi David,
Thanks for your advice!

Cheers, Nick