Need an amp for my house

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 systemdeath

systemdeath
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

I am looking into an amp for a home stereo, and I want it really loud, something that will make my neighbors angry. I plan on finding an amp, then finding some speakers to go with the amp. Any suggestions?

#2 bourbon108

bourbon108
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

A more normal practice is to find speakers that you want first, then select an amp to appropriately power them.

But, if you insist on purchasing an amp first, something like a CE4000 or a K2 will give you plenty of power for just about anything you'd dare to use in your house, and both of those amps are quite efficient, something to keep in mind with home use.

#3 systemdeath

systemdeath
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:29 AM

Okay, thanks very much. I just wanted some kind of starting point with numbers and such. tongue.gif

#4 Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:15 AM

I have two CE 4000 amps and I LOVE them!

#5 jeenie67

jeenie67

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:56 PM

Hi, I have two vintage Altec Voice of the Theater (A-7's) and achieve 105db easily in my 18x16 living room, power from a single crown XLS202. Nothing clips or distorts, and my ears never hurt or do I suffer listening fatigue. I refuse to use cd's; all input is from either an Akai GXR70 cassette tape machine or a Music Hall turntable. Preamplification is via a Bellari tube phono preamp for the turntable only. The cassette deck is fed directly into the power amp using the output control to attenuate. It's a pain but I disconnect/connect the patch cords to switch inputs. I haven't found an absolutely quiet patch bay yet. Desired tonal qualities took some time, angling the speaker cabinets on horizontal/vertical axis, and room treatments (which are all normal decor, rugs,drapes,venetian blinds, plants, and furniture with pillows). As a schooled musician, I have an acute sense of tonal balance and accuracy. I love my music played at the volume it would be at if it was live in the room with its distortions and not ones induced by the system. To *beep* with the neighbors, but I haven't received any complaints to date. I listen to most generas with blues-rock at the top. My suggestion is to concentrate on an efficient speaker system (mine will drive adequately with only 10 watts) first, then improve your source as you can afford it. I consider every component I own entry level, sans the Altecs and Crown. I come to tears during certain cuts e.g. Pink Floyd's The Wall to the 1812 Overture, Leonard Bernstein with the New York Philharmonic. That's happiness !!!       Eugene Zdybowicz

#6 DLLutz

DLLutz
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

Hey systemdeath,

Did you ever decide what amp to go with.  Let us know...

David

#7 melika

melika
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

the 4200's and 8200s (4 channel and 8 channel) are nice because you can hook them up to several different things and control them from your computer with the IQ version.......  check it out!