• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 soundman5150

soundman5150
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 12:57 AM

Wish list

1. IS there planns for the I Tech CN version have the DSP like the non cobranet and USP/CN3 PIP cards allowing filters,

2. Crossovers- I know you can use HPF and LPF to make a crossover network. But what about adding true crossover points. Also what about slopes like the Lake Contour's brick wall crossover of 180dB/Oct?

3. Brick wall limiters like in the Ampex Dom II.
4. Freq dependent compression/limiting like in the BSS 901 II

I really like IQ and would be even better if had some of the old faithfuls.

#2 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:11 PM

Wish list

1. IS there planns for the I Tech CN version have the DSP like the non cobranet and USP/CN3 PIP cards allowing filters,

Yes, that is the plan.

2. Crossovers- I know you can use HPF and LPF to make a crossover network. But what about adding true crossover points. Also what about slopes like the Lake Contour's brick wall crossover of 180dB/Oct?

A brickwall filter can be created by stacking multiple filters on top of each other, in this case about 8 HPF or LPF filters.

3. Brick wall limiters like in the Ampex Dom II.
4. Freq dependent compression/limiting like in the BSS 901 II

I can definitely say that these are not the first time we have heard these comments. I will add them to the list.

I really like IQ and would be even better if had some of the old faithfuls.

Glad you like it. Keep the ideas coming.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#3 soundman5150

soundman5150
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:21 PM

Thank your for response. On item 2 Crossover what about having set filter so no stacking or using two for crossover and so on. Make it easiler. Plus for locking parameters togther "less is more"

Another ? - I see CobraNet can now do 96KHz@24bit any plans on that? I know that is out there as most live sound gear tops out at 48

Another suggestion- when openning an amp have the option to open full so you do not need to click on the +/- button.

#4 Matt24

Matt24
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:26 AM

With regard to the filter stacking in order to achieve brickwall filter slopes, can anyone give more information on this practice, as I had never come across this idea before.

For example, how do I calculate the slope obtained if I use two 24db/octave L-R 4th order filters with the same freq and gain settings.  Does it give a result of 48db?

It can be seen in the response through location window, but it would be good to know what actual slope is being achieved.  Also, when checked, the phase graph goes crazy when filters are stacked.  Any comments on this?

As for linking of the frequency, draging one of the frequency boxes to a control page and adding all the other filter frequencies to the control list, works well.

#5 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 09:50 AM

With regard to the filter stacking in order to achieve brickwall filter slopes, can anyone give more information on this practice, as I had never come across this idea before.

Sure. Mathematically it is the same DSP if one places two filters on top of each other as if one places one filter at a steeper slope at the same frequency. The reason for this is the commutative property of multiplication. The idea being that 2*2*2=2*4. The result is the same even though the "equation" to get there is slightly different.

For example, how do I calculate the slope obtained if I use two 24db/octave L-R 4th order filters with the same freq and gain settings. Does it give a result of 48db?

You are correct. Add the slopes. So if you wanted a slope of 36dB per octave it would be a 24dB and a 12dB.

It can be seen in the response through location window, but it would be good to know what actual slope is being achieved. Also, when checked, the phase graph goes crazy when filters are stacked. Any comments on this?

You are correct there are phase anamolies caused by the math. This would happen if you placed the filter as 2 24dB filters or a single 48dB filter. To compensate for this we have included user controllable all pass filters.

As for linking of the frequency, draging one of the frequency boxes to a control page and adding all the other filter frequencies to the control list, works well.

Thanks.

Hope this helps.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/