CE 1000 in direct constant voltage operation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jim A

Jim A
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

I have a CE 1000 amplifier that I would like to use in direct constant voltage operation to around 10 JBL control 24CT and 2 19CS speakers.  Is this possible, or will I need to use an autotransformer?  The amplifier application information seems to imply that it can be driven directly, although not at the full 70 volts.  The direct constant voltage note mentions the CT and not the CE series, however.

#2 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

We would recommend using an autoformer as it will be a more consistent load to the amplifier and result in the proper loading of the output devices. Depending on the wattage of the taps on the Control Speakers you could end up with a very high impedance resulting in very low wattage from the amplifier.

However Crown Amplifiers are safe at any load. The CH series, CTs, and Commercial Audio series are designed specifically for Constant Voltage.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

In two channel mode the CE1000 will only put out about 46 volts so I wouldn't use it to drive a 70 volt line directly without an output autoformer.
In Bridge-Mono the CE-1000 would do it with an output voltage of about 85 volts. However If doing it in Bridge-Mono make sure that neither of the speaker lines gets grounded. A skinned wire touching a conduit could cause major problems.

For a 70 volt operation I would rather recommend your going with either the CH or the CTs series as they were direcly designed for 70 volt operation. smile.gif