Do I need a splitter?

3 replies to this topic

#1 DLLutz

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

I am coming out of my crossovers output for "summed Sub out" to run my subs.
However my crossover only has one XLR balanced out, but I am going to run 4 power base 2's in bridged mode.  What do I need to go from one line to 4 lines for inputs for the PB2's.  Do I need a splitter (or what is your recommendation)  and if so who makes a good one??

#2 chris226


    Power User

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

I don't believe you can daisy-chain PB amps by using channel two as an "OUT".  

You will need 3 balanced spliters(commonly called "stereo Y-adaptors" at any Radio Shack), (3) balanced patch cables and (1) XLR to 1/4-balanced cable.  Any commercial audio store should be able to supply all of these.

Here's how you connect it all:
(You have 4 amps we'll call them A, B, C, and D, based on the order they'll recieve the signal)

1.  Plug the Y splitters in to channel 1 on amps ABC.
2.  Patch the crossover (using the XLR-1/4 cable) to the splitter that is on amp A.
3.  Patch the remaining plug on A's splitter to B's splitter.
4.  Patch B's splitter to C's, and C's in to channel 1 on D.

Four splits may weaken the signal a little, if so, compensate by boosing it with your crossover.

Hope this helps,


#3 DLLutz

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

Thanks Chris for your help and basically thats what I have been doing running 2 amps.  I was just concerned running 4 that I might loose some signal and would like to have a little more control over the gain on the second 2 amps as all my subs don't match.


#4 DGlass



  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

You can use "Y" cables as described for this application and they will work. However, a "splitter" is usually a device that uses either a transformer or active circuitry to send its input signal out two or more ways so as to not load down the output device like hanging on more amps with "Y's" can end up doing. A "splitter" device will also be more costly than "Y" cables.  smile.gif