XLS-402 - JBL Control 5 Plus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ezurick

ezurick
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

Hi All.  I am hoping someone can answer my question(s).  I tried to read through the threads so I don't duplicate the question, but I didn't see anything related.  I am a musician and not a power amp experts, nor an electrician.  So alot of this is confusing to me.  Here's my question(s):

I have a small home studio (DAW) which is currently powered by a pair of Behringer B-300 powered speakers coming out of a small mixer (which sound is coming out from my studio to the mixer).  This is fine for the most part, but a bit extreme in my studio room.  I use this mainly for mix-down/mastering purposes.  I have 2 sets of JBL Control 5 Plus speakers that I purchased from a Navy buddy a few years back and I want to set them up as the main listening for my mix-down/mastering purpose (perhaps using the behringers turned down on the "monitoring" output of the mixer).  Anyway, I am not sure of the specs of the JBLs, but I believe they are 100 watt at 8ohms a piece.  So, if I have a pair of the JBLs on each channel, I assume that would make it 4ohms.  I am looking at the XLS-402 for powering these (2 JBL's on each channel).  Would that be practical, or is there another Crown amp someone can recommend that is in the same price range to easily power these 4 speakers (a pair on each channel)?

Next question.  I seen an ebay ad for an XLS-402B.  I tried seeking information on here, but can't find anything.  Is this ebay seller nuts, or is there really a 402B released?  If so, what is the difference between the A and the B version?

Thanks for any help and advice.... Oh!  and happy new year!

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

From the JBL web site the power spec for the Control 5 speakers is 175 watts continuous/4-ohms. ( http://www.jblpro.com/pub/install/control/ctrl5.pdf )The speakers would be looking for an amplifier that can do about 350 watts in the power range of 280 to 437 watts with a 4-ohm load. The XLS 402 will do 400 watts into a 4-ohm load/ch.
Two Control 5 speakers per side would be a 700 watt/2-ohm load looking for an amp that could do between 560 and 875 watts/2-ohms. The XLS402 should be fine, in either case. The XLS 402 will do 570 watts into a 2-ohm load/ch.

Crown is continually doing research related to improvements to our amplifiers. New components, production methods and design refinements are periodically introduced into existing products. As modifications are made in design the model number may be altered to reflect this. Model verification can be done by looking at the serial number. Serial numbers beginning with an “A” at the beginning are an “A” model. Serial numbers beginning with a “B” are a “B” model etcetera…… Current production models may differ in some respect to published descriptions, but will always equal or exceed the original design specifications unless stated otherwise.
The XLS402 was the original model and was three rack spaces often referred to as the “razor front” as it looked like an electric razor. The XLS402A was changed to a single rack space unit with one SpeakOn connector while the XLS402B had a second SpeakOn connector added. smile.gif

#3 ezurick

ezurick
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

Thanks David.  That was most helpful and informative.  I only wish other big companies would consider better customer support like this.  Without naming names, some of them won't even respond to inquiries like this... like if they were going to reveal company secrets or something.  Anyway, I am surprised the JBL Control 5's were 4 ohms...  And these are the "plus" version.  I think I seen somewhere on the Internet that the "plus" version were able to handle more than the regular Control 5's.  *shrug*  Either way, thanks again for your most helpful reply... and I am off to find me that ebay seller and snatch me one.  His price seemed reasonable... Happy New Year!

QUOTE(DGlass @ Jan 3 2006, 11:02 AM)
From the JBL web site the power spec for the Control 5 speakers is 175 watts continuous/4-ohms. ( http://www.jblpro.com/pub/install/control/ctrl5.pdf )The speakers would be looking for an amplifier that can do about 350 watts in the power range of 280 to 437 watts with a 4-ohm load. The XLS 402 will do 400 watts into a 4-ohm load/ch.
Two Control 5 speakers per side would be a 700 watt/2-ohm load looking for an amp that could do between 560 and 875 watts/2-ohms. The XLS402 should be fine, in either case. The XLS 402 will do 570 watts into a 2-ohm load/ch.

Crown is continually doing research related to improvements to our amplifiers. New components, production methods and design refinements are periodically introduced into existing products. As modifications are made in design the model number may be altered to reflect this. Model verification can be done by looking at the serial number. Serial numbers beginning with an “A” at the beginning are an “A” model. Serial numbers beginning with a “B” are a “B” model etcetera…… Current production models may differ in some respect to published descriptions, but will always equal or exceed the original design specifications unless stated otherwise.
The XLS402 was the original model and was three rack spaces often referred to as the “razor front” as it looked like an electric razor. The XLS402A was changed to a single rack space unit with one SpeakOn connector while the XLS402B had a second SpeakOn connector added. smile.gif
View Post

#4 ezurick

ezurick
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:18 AM

Ok, I something perhaps is wrong.  As I stated, I am hooking up a pair of the JBL Control 5 Plus on each side of the XLS 402B amp.  It is very clear and sounds nice, but there is no power.  None.  I have the amp cranked up to the max and you have to be sitting in front of the speakers to review (monitor).  I unplugged one speaker on each side and definately is lower.  Honestly, I have an old cheapie EW 4 channel PA system with a pair of 12" speakers, and I think that amp is only like 80watts (I believe 8 ohm), and with the DAW same settings, that thing SHAKES my windows.  I am very disappointed.... am I doing something wrong?  Any advice?

QUOTE(DGlass @ Jan 3 2006, 11:02 AM)

View Post

#5 dembits

dembits
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:15 AM

I would recommend working your way backwards. First, make sure that your speakers are hooked up to your amp correctly, and the amp is hooked up to your mixer correctly. If all of that appears to be right, change the speakers. If the speakers are not the problem, try hooking up a CD player directly into the amp. If that doesn't fix it, then the problem is not before the amp, it IS the amp.

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

Do you have any idea what the output level of the mixer is putting out? Also remember when comparing amplifiers you must compare apples to apples not apples to oranges. Input sensitivity of the other amplifier may be different. The input sensitivity of the XLS 402 is 31db (at maximum level setting) or 1.025 volts. This means that with the input attenuators turned all the way up and an input signal of 1.025 volts the amplifier will provide full rated output. The other amplifier may be have a lower input sensitivity which would mean it would get to full rated power at a lower input voltage.