Interesting IQ Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1jellomello

1jellomello
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 05:51 PM

If anyone could kindy help me with any of the following questions it would be GREAT!

1. I have my data frame set-up so I can modify the current preset that is saved in the amp. The problem is that if I modify a setting, power down the amp(s) and disconnect them from the network, those changes are still in the amp (this is the problem). I would like to go to my show, adjust the crossover or EQ setting for that show, once the show is over and I pack up the preset in the amp goes back to the original settings. Can I do this?

2. I have created a drop down menu to display and change the current preset. The problem is, the drop down menu does not show the text information, it just shows the current preset number. The filters do the same, it will show “B4” for a Butterworth 4th order 24 db slope, I would like it to display the full text information. Is there a way around this?

3. Is there a way to make a button with just an on/off state? I do not want some of my buttons to have on/off/MIXED. For example; I have individual mute buttons and a master mute. If I have one of the mute buttons on then the master mute is half on and half off. I would like the master button to be either on or off.

4. When linking output attenuators, is there a way to make both faders move at the same time? Right now when the attenuators are linked both channels ARE affected by the change, but I only see the selected fader move, not the other channel. It makes it difficult to know what the other channel is set at.

5. Is there a way of grouping faders? For example; I may want to adjust the output volume of amp1/ch1,  amp4/ch2 or any other combination at the same time. Right now I have to adjust each fader individually.

6. Can I adjust a filter for CH1 & CH2 at the same time?

7. I have a numerical spin control for the delay setting, but it only shows the msec value. How can I get it to show the feet?

8. Can I adjust the refresh rate of the network? I find that if I turn an amp on or off it takes about 30-45 seconds before IQ recognizes the change. I can understand that when turning the amp on it may take a while for it to boot up, but turning it off should be reported to the software immediately.

9. Is there an average current draw and input voltage monitor option or perhaps even a peak monitor? It is hard to read the digital display that I have assigned to monitor those parameters because it changes so rapidly.

10. I have several iTech racks and would like to make them all wireless. I was told the best way to do this was to use either an access point OR Ethernet bridge. I would like to be able to use rack #1 and #3 tonight and #8 and #2 tomorrow night without having to change the settings on my laptop. Which unit should I use? Access Point or an Ethernet Bridge? Also will I have to connect a router to my laptop? Or will the built-in wireless be able to connect to the network? Do keep in mind that I want to setup the laptop and access points or bridges ONCE and be able to use any amp rack in any order without always having to change settings.

10a. If I do need to connect a router to my laptop, would it be possible to use  Windows XP Ethernet bridge option within the XP software and not use the router?

11. I heard that some routers, access points etc… will not allow you to monitor the iTech parameters, BUT allow to control the amp. Could you recommend hardware that will allow me to use the full capabilities of the IQ software in a wireless environment as stated in question #10, or provide me with the information to look for when purchasing the required hardware?

#2 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:17 PM

[quote=1jellomello,Dec 24 2005, 05:51 PM]
If anyone could kindy help me with any of the following questions it would be GREAT!

1. I have my data frame set-up so I can modify the current preset that is saved in the amp. The problem is that if I modify a setting, power down the amp(s) and disconnect them from the network, those changes are still in the amp (this is the problem). I would like to go to my show, adjust the crossover or EQ setting for that show, once the show is over and I pack up the preset in the amp goes back to the original settings. Can I do this?[/quote]

If you are using an I-Tech you can recall the preset from the front panel. For the rest of them it can be done by using the aux port and a contact closure to recall a preset That would require hardwiring a contact closure to recall a preset via the Aux port. This is covered in the help section...

[QUOTE]2. I have created a drop down menu to display and change the current preset. The problem is, the drop down menu does not show the text information, it just shows the current preset number. The filters do the same, it will show “B4” for a Butterworth 4th order 24 db slope, I would like it to display the full text information. Is there a way around this?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it is not possible as you are directly controlling the state variables. We are working on improving this in System Architect software.

[QUOTE]3. Is there a way to make a button with just an on/off state? I do not want some of my buttons to have on/off/MIXED. For example; I have individual mute buttons and a master mute. If I have one of the mute buttons on then the master mute is half on and half off. I would like the master button to be either on or off.[/QUOTE]

Sorry that is not possible at the moment in IQwic. It is something that we are working on in System Architect software.

[QUOTE]4. When linking output attenuators, is there a way to make both faders move at the same time? Right now when the attenuators are linked both channels ARE affected by the change, but I only see the selected fader move, not the other channel. It makes it difficult to know what the other channel is set at.[/QUOTE]

Sorry that is not possible at the moment in IQwic. It is something that we are working on in System Architect software.

[QUOTE]5. Is there a way of grouping faders? For example; I may want to adjust the output volume of amp1/ch1,  amp4/ch2 or any other combination at the same time. Right now I have to adjust each fader individually.[/QUOTE]

This one there is a way to do that. On a custom control you can link multiple faders together. The easiest way to do that is to simply drag the controls you want over the custom fader. You can also create a Master Control Panel.

There are several methods for creating a Master Control Panel.

The first step in any of these methods is to right-click on a selected Component Image in the Workplace. If you right-click on an unselected Component Image, the image that you clicked on becomes the sole one selected. If the Component Image represents a component that can be controlled by a Master Control Panel, the top entry in the menu that drops down will be Control Panels with an arrow to the right of the text. This arrow indicates that there is more that can be done. Click on this entry in the menu to view a submenu. This submenu contains the entries:

Open Standard
Instant New Master
Setup Masters

Open Standard
Clicking on this selection opens the standard single control panels for the selected components. It is equivalent to double-clicking on the selected Component Image and has nothing to do with Master Control Panels.

Instant New Master
Clicking on this selection reveals a submenu that lets you create a Master Control Panel. The contents of this submenu are designed to vary depending on what type of units the Master Control Panel is controlling.

An example of a component type that is supported with Master Control Panels is the IQ-P.I.P.. The contents of this submenu for the IQ-P.I.P.s will be.

Channel 1 Only  

Creates and opens a Master Control Panel that controls only channel 1 of the eligible selected IQ-P.I.P.s.  

Channel 2 Only  

Creates and opens a Master Control Panel that controls only channel 2 of the eligible selected IQ-P.I.P.s.  

Channels 1 and 2  

Creates and opens a Master Control Panel that controls both channels of the eligible selected IQ-P.I.P.s. For example, pressing the mute button on the Master Control Panel would result in the muting of both channels for all selected IQ-P.I.P.s.  

Setup Masters
Clicking on this selection allows you to carefully customize the contents of a Master Control Panel by opening a Master Control Panel Edit Form.

[QUOTE]6. Can I adjust a filter for CH1 & CH2 at the same time? [/QUOTE]

Yes, using the same approach as above, I would recommend using a Master Control Panel.

[QUOTE]7. I have a numerical spin control for the delay setting, but it only shows the msec value. How can I get it to show the feet?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it is not possible as you are directly controlling the state variables. We are working on improving this in System Architect software.

[QUOTE]8. Can I adjust the refresh rate of the network? I find that if I turn an amp on or off it takes about 30-45 seconds before IQ recognizes the change. I can understand that when turning the amp on it may take a while for it to boot up, but turning it off should be reported to the software immediately.[/QUOTE]

You can change a portion of this by changing the sensor period to under the network settings to increase or decrease the pause between polling for status.

[QUOTE]9. Is there an average current draw and input voltage monitor option or perhaps even a peak monitor? It is hard to read the digital display that I have assigned to monitor those parameters because it changes so rapidly.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]10. I have several iTech racks and would like to make them all wireless. I was told the best way to do this was to use either an access point OR Ethernet bridge. I would like to be able to use rack #1 and #3 tonight and #8 and #2 tomorrow night without having to change the settings on my laptop. Which unit should I use? Access Point or an Ethernet Bridge? Also will I have to connect a router to my laptop? Or will the built-in wireless be able to connect to the network? Do keep in mind that I want to setup the laptop and access points or bridges ONCE and be able to use any amp rack in any order without always having to change settings. [/QUOTE]

This should be possible using an access point.

[QUOTE]10a. If I do need to connect a router to my laptop, would it be possible to use  Windows XP Ethernet bridge option within the XP software and not use the router?[/QUOTE]

You should not need to do this.

[QUOTE]
11. I heard that some routers, access points etc… will not allow you to monitor the iTech parameters, BUT allow to control the amp. Could you recommend hardware that will allow me to use the full capabilities of the IQ software in a wireless environment as stated in question #10, or provide me with the information to look for when purchasing the required hardware?[/QUOTE]

This information is false, all of the data is transmitted so the hardware should not matter. The largest issue is that we have put meter data at a lower priority than control so if you have bandwidth issues you can lose meter data but not control. This limitation is not a limitation of our hardware but of the network hardware being used. We have succesfully tested the protocol using 802.11, rev A, B, and G. We are currently using Cisco Access Points and Linksys products. The linksys we are using WAP-11 and WRT-54G and WRT54GC. However we also know customers that are using DLink, NetGear, and HP.

Hope that helps.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:27 PM

I have sent you a detailed answer, a sample dataframe file and a diagram via email as you sent the same questions to me directly. wink.gif