Itech AES/EBU Routing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CKSOUND

CKSOUND
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:07 PM

My topic starts with can you route the AES/EBU for the Itech Amplifiers.

Here is my situation:
I want to use the AES/EBU out of a Yamaha PM5D, Channel 1 master left and channel 2 Master right(my house outputs). I want to go directly into the Itech amps digital, with nothing in between the console and the amps. So far not a problem. Now here is were it gets tricky. lets say I have two amp racks of Itechs. One is for the left side of the PA and the second rack of amps is the right side of the PA. I an using the amps in parallel mode, so what signal comes in on channel one of the amp goes to both output 1 and 2<in Analog mode>. Can I run one digital line out of the console and loop through all the amps, and make the first amp rack (left PA) get only channel one(left) of the aes/ebu to both channels of outputs of the amp, and then only channel 2(right) of the aes/ebu to the second rack(right PA)on both channels of output on the amp?

#2 helicool

helicool

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:06 PM

[quote=Can I run one digital line out of the console and loop through all the amps, and make the first amp rack (left PA) get only channel one(left) of the aes/ebu to both channels of outputs of the amp, and then only channel 2(right) of the aes/ebu to the second rack(right PA)on both channels of output on the amp?
[/quote]

Yes, you can - in the input section of the IT Amps (controlled through IQ Software) you can select -

- input for Channels one and two to be "AES/EBU" on the pulldown menu.
- on each channel you can select "AES/EBU Source" - simply select "one" on the left rack, and "two" on the right.

You's have to select this in each amp (say... in the left rack, All amps left and right set to AES input one" and not bother with paralell input settings.

I just realized this could be confusing - if you need clarification, let me know.

Ryan

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:29 PM

There are some conditions.

1)  Must use the best “AES/EBU cable” one can find. Not Microphone Cable.  (more important with longer runs)
2)  Use reclocking distribution after long runs (I.E. FOH to stage, cross stage, to delay locations)
3)  Use the passive loop a maximum of 3 times (reclocker --> amp1, amp1 passive to amp2, amp2 passive to amp3, amp3 passive to amp
4).  If using good cable with short runs and you live right you may get away with using the loop 4 times.  If it is a problem you'll know pretty quick.

Also check out the posting in Amplifier Troubleshooting entitled "Itech digital input active thru, Will not pass digital signal” http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=691

#4 CKSOUND

CKSOUND
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:05 PM

Thanks David and Ryan, I will take a look at the routing.