Which Amps should I buy?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vincedlc

vincedlc
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:48 AM

I have narrowed down my choices to either a CE series or XS series to drive 2 WS-A200 Ramsa speakers (250W continuous power rating at 8ohms) and 2 WS-A250 Subs. If both series can do the job, which one is better and which model. Is there a difference quality-wise since one is made in China and the other in the US?
I appreciate any help from this forum. Thanks

vince

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

Both the CE and Xs are great amplifiers but both models have different feature sets. Also the XS may be made in China but it is a Crown design. Some other comparisons:

*The CE series are all three rack spaces high while the Xs series is two rack spaces.
*The CEs is 12-1/4" inches deep while the Xs is 17 inches deep.
*The CEs comes standard with SpeakOn output connectors and optional 5-way binding posts (at no charge if ordered that way) while the Xs comes standard with SpeakOn and 5-way binding post.
*The CEs comes with an XLR combo input connector and Barrier Strips. The Xs come with XLR combo input connectors, a Phoenix-style connector and XLR loop through connectors.
*The CEs has on demand variable speed fans while the XS have constant speed fans.
*The CEs have input modules available. The Xs do not.
*The CE1000 weighs 32.6 lbs., the CE2000 weighs 40.3 lbs and the CE4000 weighs 33.3 lbs. All the two channel Xs amplifiers weigh 28 lbs.
*The CE1000, CE2000 and Xs series are voltage specific i.e. 120v/60 Hz or 240 volt/50 Hz. while the CE4000 has a Universal Power Supply.
*Damping Factor and IMD are a little better on the CE series compared to the XS amplifiers.
*The Xs series general will cost less than the CEs.

I guess if you had to do a head to head full comparison the CEs would be about a 1/2 step above the Xs amplifiers. The Xs series, however, has more amplifier choices in the model line, takes up less rack space and weighs less. Amp selection would have to be based on speaker power requirements, features and cost. smile.gif

#3 vincedlc

vincedlc
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Dec 7 2005, 10:54 AM)
Both the CE and Xs are great amplifiers but both models have different feature sets. Also the XS may be made in China but it is a Crown design. Some other comparisons:

*The CE series are all three rack spaces high while the Xs series is two rack spaces.
*The CEs is 12-1/4" inches deep while the Xs is 17 inches deep.
*The CEs comes standard with SpeakOn output connectors and optional 5-way binding posts (at no charge if ordered that way) while the Xs comes standard with SpeakOn and 5-way binding post.
*The CEs comes with an XLR combo input connector and Barrier Strips. The Xs come with XLR combo input connectors, a Phoenix-style connector and XLR loop through connectors.
*The CEs has on demand variable speed fans while the XS have constant speed fans.
*The CEs have input modules available. The Xs do not.
*The CE1000 weighs 32.6 lbs., the CE2000 weighs 40.3 lbs and the CE4000 weighs 33.3 lbs. All the two channel Xs amplifiers weigh 28 lbs.
*The CE1000, CE2000 and Xs series are voltage specific i.e. 120v/60 Hz or 240 volt/50 Hz. while the CE4000 has a Universal Power Supply.
*Damping Factor and IMD are a little better on the CE series compared to the XS amplifiers.
*The Xs series general will cost less than the CEs.

I guess if you had to do a head to head full comparison the CEs would be about a 1/2 step above the Xs amplifiers. The Xs series, however, has more amplifier choices in the model line, takes up less rack space and weighs less. Amp selection would have to be based on speaker power requirements, features and cost. smile.gif
View Post

Thanks David

Will the CE1000 be able to drive my 2 Ramsa subs which is rated at 250w rms in bridge mode?

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:40 PM

View Post
[/quote]

Thanks David

Will the CE1000 be able to drive my 2 Ramsa subs which is rated at 250w rms in bridge mode?
View Post
[/quote]
The CE1000 in Bridge-Mono will do 110 watts, 4-ohms in Bridge-Mono.
Doing the Math for your speakers as discribed in other posting of this forum, for Amplifier selection. The two 250 watt speakers would present a 500 watt, 4-ohm load to an amplifier. They would want to have amplifier capable of doing 1000 watts in to a 4-ohm load (for 3db of headroom) and be in the power range of 800 to 1250 watts. The CE 1000 in Bridge-Mono would do fine.

#5 vincedlc

vincedlc
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:07 PM

Thanks again, David.  I just bought the CE2000, in case I need to upgrade my speakers in the future .

vincedlc