Need Help Amp Selection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 guitarguy56

guitarguy56
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:52 PM

I am a FOH engineer for a regional rock act and am involved in system design & installation with a local area retail music store.  I am fairly old school (4 way JBL system w/ Macro power for our FOH) and have always been very pleased.  I am in the process of setting up a small system for a local group.  They are using EV 3-way top cabs (one per side) along with a single 18" folded horn sub (one per side).  Tops rated @ 300 rms each @ 8 ohms, and the subs rated @ 700 rms each @ 8 ohms.  I have already hooked them up with a K2 for the top cabinets.  I was thinking of either a 3600vz for the subs, or two (2) XS900 amps running in bridge mode.

Here's the question.  Which would be best?  I don't have any experience with the XS series, and was even told this week by one of your current dealers that the XS series is not made for portable use...but is designed for permanent installs.  This didn't sound correct to me...but as I say, I have no first hand knowledge of the XS models.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:07 PM

The Xs is designed for all around use and is not specifically marketed for the Install market. Our CTs Series and CH/CL series are our two channel contractor amplifiers designed specifically for install. However this doesn't mean that thy can't be used on the road either-they just have input and output connectors designed for installation purposes.

#3 guitarguy56

guitarguy56
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Dec 2 2005, 01:07 PM)
The Xs is designed for all around use and is not specifically marketed for the Install market. Our CTs Series and CH/CL series are our two channel contractor amplifiers designed specifically for install. However this doesn't mean that thy can't be used on the road either-they just have input and output connectors designed for installation purposes.
View Post

Thanks for the information.  Do you have any opinion on which of my selections would work the best?  (one 3600vz or two XS900's)  Originally, I was mostly concerned about any possible reliability issues of the XS series, given the erroneous info provided by that dealer.

Thanks again!

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE(guitarguy56 @ Dec 2 2005, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE(DGlass @ Dec 2 2005, 01:07 PM)
View Post

Thanks for the information.  Do you have any opinion on which of my selections would work the best?  (one 3600vz or two XS900's)  Originally, I was mostly concerned about any possible reliability issues of the XS series, given the erroneous info provided by that dealer.

Thanks again!
View Post

The Xs series has proven to be a very reliable amplifier line for us.
Although I can't tell you what to buy there are a few things to consider when looking at these amplifiers:

1) AC Power. Unless you will have access to a 30 amp circuit ,or your own AC distro, the MA3600vz needs a 30 amp power source while the XS900 amplifiers require a 15 amp circuit each.
2) Rack Space. MA3600va is 2 RU and the (2) Xs 900s will be 2 RU each.
3) Weight. Weight wise (2) Xs900 will weight the same as (1) MA3600vz.
4) Cost. List price on a MA3600vz is $4,795.00 and the list price on a Xs900 is $1,495.00.