K2 was dropped now it is dead

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eddog

eddog
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:52 PM

Hello, first time poster here. I have been given a K2 amp that was dropped by a very unfortunate friend of mine. The amp does not turn on now. He had an electronics shop look at it and they told him that a board was cracked. I don't know why a repair was not done (the amp was owned by the business he works for) but they were going to throw it away. I had him fish it out of the trash and give it to me to look at. Having taken the amp apart I see no evidence of cracked boards but what I do see is the right side power supply board has arched through the insulation mat between the board and the heat sink. Burned a cut in the heat sink pretty good. The main fuse is still good so I am asking your opinion about possible damage that may have occurred to the amp due to this arching. I will send the amp in for repair when money comes available. Thanks.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:26 AM

It's hard to say what could actually be wrong until the amplifier has been placed on a bench and looked at. It is definitely worth getting repaired however.

#3 Wilder Bill

Wilder Bill

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:38 PM

I'd have to say that if you can hae a good amp for just the cost of repair, then that's a good thing.  tongue.gif

Sometimes you can get lucky on those 'fishing it out of the trash' deals.
I have a Casio keyboard that was dropped and then didn't work.
I soldered jumpers across three broken traces and it works like new.  biggrin.gif

#4 eddog

eddog
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:28 AM

Wow, found out yesterday that the fuse holder had lost it's internal spring. I replaced it with one I had lying around and the amp fired up. But, it showed on the front LED that the right channel was clipping and then a very loud pop was heard through a speaker  I had connected to that channel. This has caused me to open the amp back up and look closer with a magnifiying glass to see if any thing obvious appeared.  I didnt find a cracked circuit board but I have found cold solder joints on one of the two rectifiers. I resoldered those and am going to fire it back up and see what happens. If this doesnt repair the problem I'm sending it in before I create more problems than it origonally had. My electronics training was many years ago so I know just enough to be dangerous, fingers crossed rolleyes.gif

#5 eddog

eddog
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(eddog @ Nov 22 2005, 12:28 PM)
Wow, found out yesterday that the fuse holder had lost it's internal spring. I replaced it with one I had lying around and the amp fired up. But, it showed on the front LED that the right channel was clipping and then a very loud pop was heard through a speaker  I had connected to that channel. This has caused me to open the amp back up and look closer with a magnifiying glass to see if any thing obvious appeared.  I didnt find a cracked circuit board but I have found cold solder joints on one of the two rectifiers. I resoldered those and am going to fire it back up and see what happens. If this doesnt repair the problem I'm sending it in before I create more problems than it origonally had. My electronics training was many years ago so I know just enough to be dangerous, fingers crossed rolleyes.gif
View Post

Oh well, my days as technician are over. I'll be sending it in after Christmas.