• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gjwaudio

gjwaudio
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:11 PM

Hi Folks...  

This is more a general PZM question, than specific to a particular model.  I'm looking for a way to determine LF response (or cut-off) as a function of boundary size.

I've been asked to assemble a "stereo microphone" for recording the church choir, and been handed a pair of original-issue (licensed from Crown) Radio-Shack PZM microphones (model 33-1090).  Please don't laugh...

Researching the topic, I find they have some respect in the amateur recording world...  which is right where the choir lives (serious amateurs).

OK.  So I plan to mounting them on opposite sides of a plexiglass sheet, to get a nice spherical pickup pattern, and everybody's happy.

The question is (...finally, The Question), what are the critical dimensions for achieving "good" LF response from this configuration.  At times the pipe organ accompanies the voices, so "full range" would be good to have.

If anyone can relate boundary area to LF extension, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:38 AM

Well I hate to be the one to break the news to you but Crown had nothing to do with the design or quality of the Radio Shack PZM. We ended up licensing only the "PZM" name to them because they were going to go ahead and make it even if we didn't. sad.gif

The guidelines for creating a boundary can be found in the "Crown Boundary microphone Application Guide" The App. Guide can be downloaded from our web site at: http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/mics/127089.pdf smile.gif

You might also want to check out the other Microphone Guides at:http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/appguides.htm#mics smile.gif

#3 gjwaudio

gjwaudio
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:01 PM

Hi David

Thank you very much for your quick reply...  even if the bad news means I'm trying to put "Lipstick on The Pig"  dry.gif

I shall pour over the Application Guide and do my best.  It's wonderful to see there's some authoritative data available - not just the amateur heresay I've found on so many other boards.

Thanks again to you David (and to Crown...)

Grant