• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 amedeo bruni

amedeo bruni
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:10 AM

Hello everybody.
I'm from Italy, and I'm looking for a replacement of the red lighted rocker switch of my beloved DC-300a.
I've been looking at it for ages, asked everybody here in Italy, and visited countless on-line stores, but unsuccessfully.
If someone here can help me, with info where to find it, please please contact me or post here. If someone has to sell, me one, used or spare, it would be great as well.
Of course, I'll be willing to pay all the asked money to get one.
Thank you so much.

Amedeo Bruni
amedeo.bruni@hotmail.com

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:06 PM

I am sorry to say the manufacture of the switch stop making it many years ago.  sad.gif We do carry a replacement non-lighted version that is available from our Parts Department here at Crown.  smile.gif the non-lighted replacement part number is M20020-0 and comes with an instructions for wiring the replacement style switch.
Crown Parts can be reached by contacting bprice@crownintl or by phone at 1.574.294.8210 .
You could probably also order it from the Crown distributor for Italy:

Audio Equipment SRL
Via Solferino 52
Monza 20052 Italy
PH: 39-0- 39-212-221
FAX: 39-0-39-214-0011

#3 Bob007

Bob007
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(amedeo bruni @ Nov 7 2005, 11:10 AM)
Hello everybody.
I'm from Italy, and I'm looking for a replacement of the red lighted rocker switch of my beloved DC-300a. 
I've been looking at it for ages, asked everybody here in Italy, and visited countless on-line stores, but unsuccessfully.
If someone here can help me, with info where to find it, please please contact me or post here. If someone has to sell, me one, used or spare, it would be great as well.
Of course, I'll be willing to pay all the asked money to get one.
Thank you so much.

Amedeo Bruni
amedeo.bruni@hotmail.com
View Post

Hi Amedeo,  I too had a 300A with a dead power light.  This may be more trouble than you are willing to go to, however I was able to disassemble the switch and replace the lamp.  Small neon job from Radio Shack.  I drilled out the switch retainers, soldered in the new lamp and it's as good as new.  I used small screws and nuts to hold the switch halfs together.  I LOVE my 300A.  Not the most powerful Crown I own but for home audio it has done it's job for me for over 20 years.  
PLEASE disconnect power prior to attempting this repair  ohmy.gif

#4 amedeo bruni

amedeo bruni
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(Bob007 @ Nov 11 2005, 04:01 AM)
Hi Amedeo,  I too had a 300A with a dead power light.  This may be more trouble than you are willing to go to, however I was able to disassemble the switch and replace the lamp.  Small neon job from Radio Shack.  I drilled out the switch retainers, soldered in the new lamp and it's as good as new.  I used small screws and nuts to hold the switch halfs together.  I LOVE my 300A.  Not the most powerful Crown I own but for home audio it has done it's job for me for over 20 years. 
PLEASE disconnect power prior to attempting this repair  ohmy.gif
View Post

Thank you, Bob.
I always try to keep things as original as possible, so I'd have considered to rebuild the original switch, but this time seems almost impossible, since the lower part of the switch (where the light is housed) has melted!
But I'll be very happy if you can tell me what kind of 'small neon' lamp have you used to replace the burned one (please keep in mind here in Italy we do not have Radio Shack).
Thanks again.

#5 Bob007

Bob007
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(amedeo bruni @ Nov 14 2005, 09:14 AM)
Hi Amedeo,  I too had a 300A with a dead power light.  This may be more trouble than you are willing to go to, however I was able to disassemble the switch and replace the lamp.  Small neon job from Radio Shack.  I drilled out the switch retainers, soldered in the new lamp and it's as good as new.  I used small screws and nuts to hold the switch halfs together.  I LOVE my 300A.  Not the most powerful Crown I own but for home audio it has done it's job for me for over 20 years.   
View Post

Thank you, Bob.
I always try to keep things as original as possible, so I'd have considered to rebuild the original switch, but this time seems almost impossible, since the lower part of the switch (where the light is housed) has melted!
But I'll be very happy if you can tell me what kind of 'small neon' lamp have you used to replace the burned one (please keep in mind here in Italy we do not have Radio Shack).  
Thanks again.
View Post

Hi Amedeo,

Sorry to hear that the switch housing is fried.  Makes me think something shorted in the switch as the power bulb does not run hot.  You could order one of the new switches from crown, David posted that pn above, and try to install a light in the new one.  However the new switch is not lit and the rocker probably will not have the red lens in the middle.  I have not seen one.  You may be able to use your old rocker with a neon or LED in the switch.  Radio Shack pn 272-704 is a 120v panel mount neon lamp that you can break open to get the bulb.  I think you are 220v so a different value resistor would be required.  If you go LED, which would sure be a longer lasting fix, you will need to find some low voltage DC to drive the lamp through the current limiting resistor.  One more thought, I think the switch was made by Levitron with a part number stamped into the metal attaching ears.  I know David said that it was no longer available, but you might check with them.  Good luck!!

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(Bob007 @ Nov 15 2005, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE(amedeo bruni @ Nov 14 2005, 09:14 AM)

View Post

Thank you, Bob.
Thanks again.
View Post

Hi Amedeo,

Sorry to hear that the switch housing is fried.  Makes me think something shorted in the switch as the power bulb does not run hot.  You could order one of the new switches from crown, David posted that pn above, and try to install a light in the new one.  However the new switch is not lit and the rocker probably will not have the red lens in the middle.  I have not seen one.  You may be able to use your old rocker with a neon or LED in the switch.  Radio Shack pn 272-704 is a 120v panel mount neon lamp that you can break open to get the bulb.  I think you are 220v so a different value resistor would be required.  If you go LED, which would sure be a longer lasting fix, you will need to find some low voltage DC to drive the lamp through the current limiting resistor.  One more thought, I think the switch was made by Levitron with a part number stamped into the metal attaching ears.  I know David said that it was no longer available, but you might check with them.  Good luck!!
View Post

The replacement switch is solid black, no clear or red window or even a place to put a lamp. sad.gif

#7 amedeo bruni

amedeo bruni
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:28 AM

Thank you very much, guys.
Your help has been much appreciated.
I'll try to rebuild someway the fried parts and get a new light, since the red lens are mint.

Amedeo

#8 Wilder Bill

Wilder Bill

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

Well, now I am in need of the same switch.
I expect I will see the same frustrations as I seek a replacement everywhere I can think of.
I could just get the plain black switch and be done with it, but this DC 300A is going in a rack with two others and it just wouldn't really look right.
I'll let you know if I find a good substitute.

#9 Bob007

Bob007
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:03 AM

One more suggestion.  When I had the switch apart replacing the lamp I noticed that the switch contacts were becoming pitted due to startup current surge.  Putting the unit on an external switch i.e. power strip,  will save the switch from further damage.  If new ones were available this would not be an issue.  But they apparently are not sad.gif

#10 rglasservision

rglasservision

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:37 AM

You might try www.alliedelec.com they have a good selection of lighted rectangular power switches.  smile.gif