Processors and effects?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 illinilax

illinilax
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:28 PM

I have two crown ce2000: 1) pushing two 1000 watts cabs and the 2) pushing two 1200 watts subs.

That's all I have, the question is what do I need in terms of effects and processors(if I need any at all)and where do I put them in the wiring configuration?

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:22 PM

That would all depend on what you would like to be able to do?

Processors fall into three catagories Speaker Processors, Speakers System Processors and Effects Processors.

Speaker Processors and Speaker System Processors "generally" go just before the amplifier. Speaker Processors provide features like crossovers, filters for box tuning and delays for component time alignments. While Speaker System Processors are designed to do "processing" such as system compression, limiting, Room EQ and Delays for box to box time alignments. Some "Processors" are designed to take on both processing functions above.
(For those of you high end users monitoring this..... "Yes" I know you cannot align time or EQ a room)

"Effects" Processors on the other hand depending on your mixer as to were they are used. "Generally" they are inserted for a particular input channel or sub group at you mixer. These special "Effects" processors provide for thing like reverb, echo and multi-tap delays for a particular input or group of inputs.

It would all depend on what you are looking to do as to what you would use and were you would put it.

#3 illinilax

illinilax
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Nov 4 2005, 03:22 PM)
That would all depend on what you would like to be able to do?

Processors fall into three catagories Speaker Processors, Speakers System Processors and Effects Processors.

Speaker Processors and Speaker System Processors "generally" go just before the amplifier. Speaker Processors provide features like crossovers, filters for box tuning and delays for component time alignments. While Speaker System Processors are designed to do "processing" such as system compression, limiting, Room EQ and Delays for box to box time alignments. Some "Processors" are designed to take on both processing functions above.
(For those of you high end users monitoring this..... "Yes" I know you cannot align time or EQ a room)

"Effects" Processors on the other hand depending on your mixer as to were they are used. "Generally" they are inserted for a particular input channel or sub group at you mixer. These special "Effects" processors provide for thing like reverb, echo and multi-tap delays for a particular input or group of inputs.

It would all depend on what you are looking to do as to what you would use and were you would put it.
View Post

Don't know it exactly what I want to do, except have a great live sound( bar setting).
I guess the other problem I have is that I don't know what a crossover is used for
and its functions, along with the other processors?

Is there a site that explains its functionality in relationship to the amps and speakers?

thanks

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:32 PM

There are many good sites with good information on Basic Audio, Professional Sound Systems, Audio Systems. I would "Google" it.

In the mean time I am going to recommend four books for you from beginner to more advanced:

"Sound Check: The Basics of Sound Systems" by Tony Moscal

"Guide to Sound Systems for Worship" by Jon F. Eiche

"Sound Reinforcement Handbook" by Gary Davis and Ralph Jones

"Audio Engineering for Sound Reinforcement" by John Eargle and Chris Foreman

All four of these books are available on line.

Have fun and welcome to the Wonderful World of Audio.  smile.gif

#5 illinilax

illinilax
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Nov 4 2005, 04:32 PM)
There are many good sites with good information on Basic Audio, Professional Sound Systems, Audio Systems. I would "Google" it.

In the mean time I am going to recommend four books for you from beginner to more advanced:

"Sound Check: The Basics of Sound Systems" by Tony Moscal

"Guide to Sound Systems for Worship" by Jon F. Eiche

"Sound Reinforcement Handbook" by Gary Davis and Ralph Jones

"Audio Engineering for Sound Reinforcement" by John Eargle and Chris Foreman

All four of these books are available on line.

Have fun and welcome to the Wonderful World of Audio.  smile.gif
View Post

many thanks