• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hamilton

Hamilton
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

Hello.

I am new to Crown amps but just won a DC 300 on eBay, the amp can be seen here :

DC 300

Are there any upgrades that should be done to this particular unit? Any idea on the year it was built?

Thanks to all,
Hamilton

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:41 AM

WOW.......what a find. That's an original DC300 that looks like it's in mint condition. The DC300 came out before the now famous DC300A series. Sorry we don't have a way of telling products of that vintage exactly when they were manufactured anymore. They were however made between 1967 and 1972.

An Instruction Manual and Service Manual are available from our Amplifier Discontinued Products web page if you don't have one.
http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

If it is working than the only thing I would have checked is to make sure the large capacitor brackets are tightened down. Other than that..... as the old wise man once said "If it ain't broke don't fix it"  biggrin.gif

Have fun and enjoy

#3 Hamilton

Hamilton
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:02 PM

Hey David, thanks for the reply.

The seller told me he picked this up at an estate sale, apparently on older couple who had this hooked up to some Altec Lansings. Well, he died some time ago and she's finally cleaning house.

I was told that the amp probably hasn't been turned on for at least 10 years, so when I get it home I'll bring it up slowly with a variac.

Thanks for the help,
Hamilton

#4 Wilder Bill

Wilder Bill

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:24 PM

I agree, that is quite a find.

The variac is a good idea.
If it smokes, plan on replacing all the electrolytics.
They may have dried out, just sitting around.
There are three small ones on the driver board and then, of course, the big filter caps.