• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Longtin

Greg Longtin
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:13 PM

To All,

I've got the following questions about I-Tech's and IQwic8...

-- IQwic / I-Tech General --

1. Input Sensitivity - I can't find where to change these in IQwic, ie, from 15 to 21?

2. RMS Power setting - this has a nominal impedance value.  Hence, if I set it for 1,000 W into 8 ohms, what will happen with a 4 ohm load?  1,000 W or 2,000 W?

-- Custom Pages --

1. Digital Display binding - I'm binding the control to the impedance value, and the control doesn't redraw, iow, when it writes an '8' to the control, you can still see the '7' that was the previous value.

2. Peak & RMS signal - are these relative to full output, or the limiter settings?

3. Peak & RMS Limit indication - are these available?

4. Current Preset Name - is there any way to have the name of the current preset shown?  I can show the number, but I'd rather see the name...

Thanks,

Greg Longtin

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:52 PM

1.Input Sensitivity - I can't find where to change these in IQwic, ie, from 15 to 21?
The ‘Maximum Analog Input” can be set from the amplifier’s LCD front panel Advanced settings menu or by a custom control on a Work Place screen. For this setting I would use three controls. I would use two Triggers to set the dbu input range and a Digital display to show the current setting.

*Place two triggers on the Workplace screen side by side.
*Using right-click on one and choose the Appearance Editor and in the “Text” entry box label it “+15dbu gain” and close the window.
*Right-click on the +15dbu trigger and select “Edit Object Control List”
*Select the device(s) to be controlled.
*In the controls list select “Analog Input Range” and Add it to the “Object control List”
*left-click on the words for the listing in the “Object Control List and a settings window will appear in the Lower section of the Editor window.
*Select “Set” and +15dbu.
*Close the Editor

*Do the same for the second Trigger labeling it “+21dbu gain” and setting it for +21dbu.

*Now create a “Digital Display” on the Workplace window.
*Right-click on it and select “Object Control Editor List”
*Select a Device to be monitored.
*Select “Analog Input Range” from the controls and Add it to the Object Control List.
*Close the window.

*Shut off edit mode and the controls should be working.

Caution should be done when doing this with the system on i.e. playing music or in operation as changing the Maximum Analog Input value changes the range of sensitivities available to the amplifier and levels could make a major change.

Input sensitivity is for the Maximum Analog Input Level is adjustable on the Analog Input control section in the Input Control Block of the Signal Path Tab via the software, a custom control or the amplifier’s LCD front panel.

Input sensitivity settings for IT-4000
At 15dbu
1.40v rms(37.1db gain) to 3.76v rms  (28.5db gain)
At 21dbu
2.79v rms(31.1db gain) to 7.51v rms (22.5db gain)

Input sensitivity settings for IT-6000
At 15dbu
1.40v rms (37.9db gain) to 3.74v rms  (29.3db gain)
At 21dbu
2.78v rms (31.9db gain) to 7.47v rms (23.3db gain)

Input sensitivity settings for IT-8000
At 15dbu
1.40v rms (39.4db gain) to 3.75v rms  (30.8b gain)
At 21dbu
2.78v rms (33.4db gain) to 7.47v rms (24.8db gain)

2. RMS Power setting - this has a nominal impedance value. Hence, if I set it for 1,000 W into 8 ohms, what will happen with a 4 ohm load? 1,000 W or 2,000 W?
I have discussed this on of the I-Tech engineering team and this is the response.

The RMS Power limiter limits the output power by controlling the voltage out of the amplifier.

If a second speaker were added, lowering the Load impedance, then the amplifier would not limit the out put voltage properly because it is basing it’s calculations on what it was set for as the Nominal Load Impedance (8-ohms) as well as the voltage and current it is reading at the output.

It would be calculating for a  1000w/ 8-ohm load based on the current and voltage it was seeing on the outputs and you would get a higher output voltage before the limiter would kick in.

It would be best if you are going to do this to either change the nominal impedance via the amplifier’s LCD front panel or use a Spin Control in a custom control screen to Set the amp channels “Nominal Load Impedance”. (A Spin control will also allow you to enter in a number as well)

-- Custom Pages --

1. Digital Display binding - I'm binding the control to the impedance value, and the control doesn't redraw, iow, when it writes an '8' to the control, you can still see the '7' that was the previous value.
Which impedance value are you trying to get the Digital Display to show the “Nominal Load Impedance” or the measured “Average Impedance”?
I have tried it both ways and it was working for me. There was a little screen refresh lag from the measured impedance but it wasn’t bad.

2. Peak & RMS signal - are these relative to full output, or the limiter settings?
Full Output

In the Peak Voltage Limiter control panel there is an On/Off switch to switch the Clip light to indicate Peak Voltage Gain Reduction is taking place. When turned on the onscreen “Active” LED could be Drag and Dropped onto a custom control screen for monitoring as well.

You can also create a “Gain Level Meter” as a object on a custom control screen.

4. Current Preset Name - is there any way to have the name of the current preset shown? I can show the number, but I'd rather see the name...
Yes, In Edit Mode place a “Digital Display” on the workplace. (This is the button with the number 13 on it in the tool bar at the bottom of the screen located between the blue vertical meter and the swing style meter) After placing the Control Object on the Workplace screen right-click it and select “Edit Object Control List”. In the Object Control List Editor select the device to be monitored and in the controls list scroll down selecting and adding the “Last Preset Stored or Recalled” control. This will set the Digital Display to show the last preset engaged when the software is taken out of Edit Mode.

Well...............I think I got it all………………………. blink.gif

#3 Greg Longtin

Greg Longtin
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:03 AM

[quote=DGlass,Oct 6 2005, 04:52 PM]

2. RMS Power setting - this has a nominal impedance value. Hence, if I set it for 1,000 W into 8 ohms, what will happen with a 4 ohm load? 1,000 W or 2,000 W?
I have discussed this on of the I-Tech engineering team and this is the response.

The RMS Power limiter limits the output power by controlling the voltage out of the amplifier.

If a second speaker were added, lowering the Load impedance, then the amplifier would not limit the out put voltage properly because it is basing it’s calculations on what it was set for as the Nominal Load Impedance (8-ohms) as well as the voltage and current it is reading at the output.

It would be calculating for a  1000w/ 8-ohm load based on the current and voltage it was seeing on the outputs and you would get a higher output voltage before the limiter would kick in.

It would be best if you are going to do this to either change the nominal impedance via the amplifier’s LCD front panel or use a Spin Control in a custom control screen to Set the amp channels “Nominal Load Impedance”. (A Spin control will also allow you to enter in a number as well)

This is crazy.  This should be based on voltage, and also the UI's for the limiters (RMS and Peak) should match

Which impedance value are you trying to get the Digital Display to show the “Nominal Load Impedance” or the measured “Average Impedance”?
I have tried it both ways and it was working for me. There was a little screen refresh lag from the measured impedance but it wasn’t bad.

I checked this, and the software *isn't* redrawing when the background is set to transparent.  It's pretty common for read-only 'text' value to displays to have transparent backgrounds, as this allow the end user to choose their background color.

In the Peak Voltage Limiter control panel there is an On/Off switch to switch the Clip light to indicate Peak Voltage Gain Reduction is taking place. When turned on the onscreen “Active” LED could be Drag and Dropped onto a custom control screen for monitoring as well.

You can also create a “Gain Level Meter” as a object on a custom control screen.

What about RMS indication?

4. Current Preset Name - is there any way to have the name of the current preset shown? I can show the number, but I'd rather see the name...
Yes, In Edit Mode place a “Digital Display” on the workplace. (This is the button with the number 13 on it in the tool bar at the bottom of the screen located between the blue vertical meter and the swing style meter) After placing the Control Object on the Workplace screen right-click it and select “Edit Object Control List”. In the Object Control List Editor select the device to be monitored and in the controls list scroll down selecting and adding the “Last Preset Stored or Recalled” control. This will set the Digital Display to show the last preset engaged when the software is taken out of Edit Mode.

This didn't work in either version.  I only got the number of the preset displayed.
Thanks,

Greg Longtin