• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ehever

ehever
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:35 AM

Hi

I'm looking for  microphone that suppose to record meeting\interview in very good quality (it seems that the PZM-185 can d othe Job here).

My limitation are:

don't use PreAmp or battary, we intend to connect the Microphone to the sound blaster nas use the Bias power.

Does Crown has such solution?

Is there any option ( base on big business case) to adujst the PZM-185 work this way

Elad

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:27 PM

We do not make a microphone for direct connection to a sound card that uses a bias voltage for your application.

You could however use the PZM-185, or any of our other PZM mikes, with a phantom power supply between it and the computer sound card. You would then wire the the output of the phantom supply up to the audio input of the sound card and not use the bias output of the soundcard. Most phantom power supplies are either powered by AC or offer a wall ward option like our PH-1B

The phantom power unit will be a balanced output and the sound card will be using a special unbalanced configuration on their 3 conductors input connector.
The custom cable will need to make the Balanced Low Impedance output of the phantom power unit so it can be used with the Hi Impedance Unbalanced input of the sound card. This can be done with a mike cable and an inline impedance transformer sold by many companies. (ProCo, Whirlwind, Shure, Radio Shack ohmy.gif etc)

The sound card connector will have one connection for the bias voltage out of the sound card, one will be for the unbalanced audio input and the third connection will be a common ground for the bias and audio connections. Proper connection will need to done so the bias voltage is not connected and only the audio input lines are used.

#3 brubart

brubart

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:18 AM

Here's a suggestion. You would need to run an extra wire from the sound card bias terminal to the PZM-185 battery + terminal.

Supplies:
Mini stereo phone plug
Female XLR connector
2-conductor shielded mic cable
A wire taped or tie-wrapped to the mic cable

1. Solder XLR pin 2 to the tip (audio) terminal of the mini plug.
2. Solder XLR pins 1 and 3 to the sleeve (ground) terminal of the mini plug.
3. Solder a wire to the ring (bias) terminal of the mini plug.
4. Attach the bias wire to the PZM-185 battery + terminal. Remove the battery.
5. Plug the mini plug into the sound card, and plug the XLR into the PZM-185.
6. Check for hum - the bias supply in the sound card might not be well filtered.

Good luck,
Bruce Bartlett
Crown Microphone Engineering

#4 ehever

ehever
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:03 AM

Thanks for the detailed answers

I'm talking about big Goverment customer in USA that suppose to buy more then 2000 microphones, in additonal there are more potential customers

who should I connect in Crown in order to check the option to implement such solution.

my details

Elad Hever

elad.hever@verint.com

972-54-7784712

#5 brubart

brubart

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE(ehever @ Aug 29 2005, 05:03 AM)
who should I connect in Crown in order to check the option to implement such solution.

Elad Hever

elad.hever@verint.com

972-54-7784712
View Post

Hi Elad,

I forwarded your email to Larry Baker at Crown, and he will reply to you.

Bruce Bartlett
Crown Microphone Engineering